The changing retail Industry - will your job disappear?

by fulltimestudent 10 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The smart phone is a major factor in the changes that are happening in China's retail industry. Will your country also change?

In the USA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSCL9f2bvGs

• waton
    waton

are you thinking of sex robots? not me!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Technology creates as many problems as it solves. A lot of the problems that we will be dealing in the future are many of the things that we see as a solution today.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The internet of things is coming.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

Out of town wharehouses are doing so much damage because

they like to have robots rather than people if they do have people they treat them like crap

and because they are out of town they dont pay the local councils as much money for rates

and if everybody did that the local councils would not have as much money to pay for the local police ambulance and fire brigade

• hoser
    hoser

We are going back 50 years or so. When I was a kid we ordered everything from the sears catalogue. It showed up about a week later in the mail or at the sears depot in our rural town.

Today we order on line. The stuff I order shows up a week later in the mail or on my doorstep.

• LV101
    LV101

Brick & Mortar stores are plagued with problems -- clerks on commission so stressed. They tell me the only time they see and chat with their old customers is when they're returning items ordered online or they're getting ideas, checking out sizes, fabrics, etc., (even snap photos!) then go home and order online. I can't treat the clerks that way! Oddly enough, it was reported that 80%+ people still want to shop in the stores and won't shop online. There will always be a demand for brick&mortar stores -- or so they think at this time.

I remember the old Sears/Montgomery Ward catalogues in the dark ages. Can't compare to online shopping today. I love online shopping for basics -- actually, for just about everything I can possibly order online! It's time efficient and offers greater selection/options (not having to deal with aggressive sales people trying to make a living -- it's sad!) although shopping in stores is still, unfortunately, necessary.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    hoser : We are going back 50 years or so. When I was a kid we ordered everything from the sears catalogue. It showed up about a week later in the mail or at the sears depot in our rural town.

Today we order on line. The stuff I order shows up a week later in the mail or on my doorstep.

Yup! It's a similar process.

But nthere are some differences. As in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRvaWHk3A8k

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

And (BIG smile) - Do you think JW.com can replace human manned lit. carts with unmannned mobile lit carts fitted with AI that can detect and call your smartphone, and give you a quickie witness tailored to whatever data it can find on your interests and concerns.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

They could replace the carts with vending machines and you would have a more human experience than dealing with the cart zombies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit