So, I got a contact letter from a local Jehovah's Witness...

by SecondRateMind 20 Replies latest jw friends

• gone for good
    gone for good

2RM

Really enjoyed your post - both intelligent and humorous "...believing six impossible things before breakfast." yuk yuk

How to survive ? seems the ultimate big question, and has as many successful "answers" throughout history as there are persons who have ever lived fulfilling lives.

Our finite lifespans reframe the colossal, ponderous, big question into day to day necessities (and pleasures) that obviate any one particular truthful answer.

Cheers

• tiki
    tiki

I like the way you think 2rm.....

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I like the big questions too 2RM. I'm still trying to find personal meaning in life. I don't think there's a universal meaning, but I am prepared and happy to be wrong.

Plato was the first philosopher I read while still a JW. It fascinated me that 500ish years BC people were asking what makes a just man, a good person.

That's also my favourite quote from Lewis Caroll.

Do please stick around and continue your fascinating thoughts.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind

Why, thank you all, for your endorsements. Xanthippe, I sense a meeting of minds. If you have not already read it, I can commend this book, which does not define answers to life's big questions, but does at least provide something of a conceptual map to help in navigating them, in an accessible, readable, entertaining manner.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    I like the big questions too 2RM. I'm still trying to find personal meaning in life

We all are. There is no such thing as an over-arching meaning for a living thing. The baseline purpose for all living things, is to live, reproduce and extend the species.

It is only because we humans have a larger brain, that we can add other levels of purpose to our lives, and even neglect that baseline purpose -- after all many of us don't even want to have kids.

We can then assign different purposes according to our desires, and our interests. Our brains evolved enough that it allows us do do this.

Life itself as a condition has no purpose, it is simply a product of the laws of physics.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    FYI - The person who sent you the leaflet wasn't being kind she was doing what she has been trained to do,

I find that whether one thinks the best of people, or the worst of people, either way, they do not disappoint. That is somewhat to do with my expectations, and somewhat to do with their reaction to my expectations. I cannot, therefore, say that it is either right or wrong to find virtue in others wheresoever I can, only that this attitude makes it easier for me to love them, be they friend or enemy, as Jesus informed us we should.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    Life itself as a condition has no purpose, it is simply a product of the laws of physics.

That is, of course, a faith position. The fact that you personally cannot ascertain a purpose to life, and find meaning in it, does not necessarily mean that there is no such purpose, no such meaning.

Best wishes, 2RM

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

SRM - It's got nothing to do with your attitude or expectations the woman is in a cult and she was expected by her cult leaders to recruit.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    [2]RM - It's got nothing to do with your attitude or expectations the woman is in a cult and she was expected by her cult leaders to recruit.

Well, maybe so. Or maybe she genuinely believes that my soul is in mortal danger, and she is morally bound to seek my rescue, and prevent my damnation and torture for all eternity. If this is the case, I cannot find her motivation at fault, only her bleak conception of a God who actually forgives, redeems and loves us all, and whose overriding purpose is the best interests of all His children.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• SecondRateMind
    SecondRateMind
    Really enjoyed your post - both intelligent and humorous "...believing six impossible things before breakfast." yuk yuk

Why, thank you.

History does not, of course, record whether the Rev Dodgson, fortified by his breakfast, went on to believe more, or fewer, impossible things over the course of the rest of the day.

Best wishes, 2RM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit