JEHOVAH

by minimus 81 Replies latest watchtower bible

• La Capra
    La Capra

Hey, Minimus, maybe it has something to do with its presence countering the doctrine of the holy trinity. But I think it has more to do with the fact that by tradition "lord" (adonai) was uttered instead.

• Joker10
    Joker10

They can put 'Jesus' in, but not 'Jehovah'? Religions do their share of the work to omitt Jehovah's name.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Every JW knows that the proper procunciation is Jehover

• AS IF
    AS IF

Ummmmmmmm, when we pray, isn't it supposed to be "Our Father". So if we look at it in those terms, who here calls their father by his first name?

AS IF I DO

• Mulan
    Mulan

My mother always said "it's only an illegitimate child who doesn't know his father's name" (olden days, that is)

In my usual argumentative style when I was a teenager, I retorted with "to me it's only a disrespectful child who calls his father by his first name". She was speechless.

My brother calls him "Jahover", but then he is very irreverant and heathenish. I love him anyway.

If I am talking about God, I call him God. Never again will he be Jehovah to me. That name is too connected to a religion I want no part of anymore.

• qua
    qua

Christ said address God in prayer as "Our Father." Paul said those close to God call out to "Abba" (Papa/Dad). Should you obey the Watchtower's emphasis on using a formal title or go by what Christ and Paul said in the Bible itself and seek closeness. The answer is obvious. Watchtowerites like to hear you pray to "Jehovah" as it shows a degree of loyalty to their organization which is a mock imitation of the true organization which remains securely in heaven.

• AS IF
    AS IF

AMEN QUA!!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

To address more specifically Minimus' question, I'd first say that the replacement of the tetragrammaton (YHWH) by "Lord" is not universal: the Spanish Reina-Valera Bible, or the Portuguese Ferreira de Almeida, which are still used by most pentecostals ans evangelicals throughout Latin America, regularly have an equivalent of "Jehovah" in the Old Testament (as has been said, there is no YHWH in any of the thousands of manuscripts of the New Testament, and on this point the NWT is clearly cheating).

Substituting "Lord" to YHWH was a Jewish practice in pre-christian times, either in the Hebrew reading "Adonaï" or "Elohim", or in the Greek Septuagint "translation" by "kurios" or "theos". The NT texts imply that, as is clear in Paul's reasoning on "kurios"-Lord, applied to Jesus, in Romans 10 for instance (the reasoning is lost when putting "Jehovah" in verse 13, as does the NWT).

My guess is that the "taboo" on pronouncing Yhwh in late judaism is a direct consequence of the rise of monotheism. Israel's god naturally had a name when he was one of the many gods in a polytheistic view (see for instance Judges 11:24, where Yhwh is the name of Israel's god as Kamosh is the name of Moab's god). When this god became God (starting from the Exile in Babylon, and specifically Isaiah 40--55), he didn't need a name anymore, and the traditional name was either theologized (as in Exodus 3) or deemed too sacred to be articulated...

• gumby
    gumby

Wasn't that name coined by a tenth century catholic monk? ( for real)

Gumby

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Tradition dictates most religius affairs. Early English translations felt it improper to use an approximation of the tetragrammaton, but in a few occasions where the sentence demanded it, since then most have followed the tradition. There have of course been a number of 'rebel' translaters who used it throughout the OT. No cover ups , no conspiracy, no satanic plots, just stupid tradition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit