Today is my first "Shunniversary"

by dubstepped 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I just wanted to thank this community for being there during my most difficult period of life. Even if it wasn't a direct interaction, I was reading, and I've taken away a lot over the past year plus. On September 2 of last year the local congregation announced that my wife and I were no longer Jehovah's Witnesses because we chose to disassociate.

This past year of living in freedom has been better than I could have imagined. My wife and I have made so many new friends, and we've seen for ourselves that life outside of "Jehovah's protection" has been better than it ever was while on the inside. I've gone from JW to loving my newfound Christian freedom to agnostic/atheist. We celebrated our first Thanksgivings last year on separate days with different families that took us in as one of their own. Speaking of family, I just reconnected with a cousin that I haven't seen since I was a child two weeks ago. Speaking of reconnecting, I'm now friends with people that I hadn't seen in over a decade, friends that I had when younger that left the dubs. My wife didn't have but one such person from her younger days, and we're going on a trip to Austin to see her in November. This year will be our first time doing the Christmas thing. We just weren't ready for it last year, and now we are.

Bit by bit the cult personality is shed. I cannot for the life of me believe that I once lived the life that I lived as a JW. I can't believe that I put faith in what I did as a JW either. That life is becoming foreign to me.

I lost my dad in April and that was rough for a week, but my new life has taken over. I wish my mom, my one brother, and my sister that are still in could enjoy the new life I have with me. However, ultimately that's their choice to stay behind. Our new friends love us for us. We don't have to agree on everything and that's awesome.

I hope that this post serves as a thank you to those here that I've communicated with and SImon for being responsible for this community. I also hope that it serves to inspire others that are afraid to leave. Just do it. I know that it isn't popular, but I highly recommend disassociation, though everything is based on your individual feelings and circumstances. I'm not going to be like so many that take shots at disassociation as though it is just hands down the wrong thing to do. If you need to fade, then fade like a boss. If you don't feel that way, pull that band-aid off and disassociate. You will never have to look over your shoulder again, never have to worry about a phone call or visit, everything just stops. It is closure, and is has been beautiful for us.

Ultimately though, no matter how you get out, my advice is boiled down to this:

RUN!!!!! Don't walk, run! The building is on fire, you're inhaling smoke, how much do you want to take into your lungs? It is impacting you, you cannot escape it. The sooner your get out, the sooner you can breathe in the fresh air. That fresh air is priceless. Don't stay in a burning building because the people in it tell you that the world outside of it is what is really on fire.

I'll leave this here below. It is a slideshow thing that I made of some highlights from our past year. It is but a fraction of the things we've done, and the new people we have in our life. Maybe it will inspire someone else though to look ahead to what life could be, to discount the jedi mind tricks that the Borg use to make you think that life will be horrible outside of their influence.

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/shemwelljr/First%20Shunniversary%20Slideshow/story

Again, thank you so much for helping me to get out, not just physically, but helping me break it all down mentally and emotionally so that my wife and I could live free.

• Hoges1955
    Hoges1955

I'm new here and a witness from 60s and 70's. I don't want to become a witness again, but miss having a community of worshippers. I can't buy the trinity, heaven and other Typically Christian beliefs. Where do I go to worship in truth?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

You're asking the wrong person. I don't feel a need to worship anything. You might want to start your own topic asking that question. You don't have to have worship to have community. Click "New Topic" at the top and post a thread asking your question and maybe you'll find someone with answers. That's how it typically works on a forum. Rather than asking a question on a subject that isn't relevant to the post that is already there, it is best to start your own. Welcome to the forum.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    • 'm new here and a witness from 60s and 70's. I don't want to become a witness again, but miss having a community of worshippers. I can't buy the trinity, heaven and other Typically Christian beliefs. Where do I go to worship in truth?

• There are churches that allow you to believe what you want. The United Church of Christ (UCC) is one. They have no doctrine. I am sure there are others, this is one I know of.
  • scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Congratulations. I'm very happy to hear that your family are well and thriving outside of that cult. I love that you didn't (or they didn't either) use your father's passing to make you change your mind. JWs are known for using other people's unfortunate events to push their agenda. Anyway, I found this interesting:

I've gone from JW to loving my newfound Christian freedom to agnostic/atheist. We celebrated our first Thanksgivings last year on separate days with different families that took us in as one of their own.

I thought I was the only ex-JW who uses atheism and Thanksgiving in the same paragraph. Doesn't it feel great to do and believe whatever the eff you want?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Congratulations. I'm very happy to hear that your family are well and thriving outside of that cult. I love that you didn't (or they didn't either) use your father's passing to make you change your mind. JWs are known for using other people's unfortunate events to push their agenda.

Nobody ever tried to change my mind. Nobody ever tried to "save" us. Once my family found out that I was going to start talking to my DF'ed brother after over a decade of shunning him, they backed away from me. Once my wife's family found out, they called her an apostate instantly and never talked to her again, even though it would be another several months before we disassociated. Actually, I guess I should thank them. Their complete lack of demonstrable love showed us both that we had little to lose. During that summer my wife and I had wager on how many "Return To Jehovah" brochures we would get. I guessed two, and she guessed double digits (10+). We received zero, lol. Such a "loving" organization. It sure made leaving them all behind easier.

When my dad died nobody said a thing. I wasn't invited to the memorial, and although I did get to see my dad one last time for 30 minutes or so to say goodbye, all of the dubs that were there were offended by my presence and left before I was allowed in the room. F*&! them all, but at the same time, thanks! I know that I truly lost nothing but shells of human beings, monsters of sorts, and we're thriving in a world full of humans with their entire humanity intact.

I thought I was the only ex-JW who uses atheism and Thanksgiving in the same paragraph. Doesn't it feel great to do and believe whatever the eff you want?

Haha, it is such an amazing feeling. Why can't I be thankful without a specific deity involved, as you know. Gratitude is a natural and healthy part of life. My wife and I often do "happies" in the car on the way to work in the morning to start our day. We just take turns listing things that we're happy about, or looking forward to, about our day. Now, I have to admit that I was uncomfortable when a prayer was offered at one of the Thanksgivings that we went to, even though at that point I wasn't quite over God yet as it was just a couple months after my disassociation. Getting over God took a little longer for me.

We actually ran into someone we worked for years ago at a local restaurant and they invited us to eat with them. We sat down to eat and he asked me to say a prayer over the meal. THAT was awkward, lol, but I just summoned up my best JW rote prayer, minus the name Jehovah, and made it happen. I was taken aback by the request and caught off guard, but it worked out. Still, I wouldn't want to have to do it again. I would respectfully decline at this point.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Hello Dubstepped

I enjoyed reading your post and congratulations on your first anniversary out of the Org. All the best.

• millie210
    millie210

I loved the slideshow!

Thank you for posting and sharing, You are shining a light on the entrance to a new life for any who are trying to find their way.

The happiness on your faces is undeniable.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Any way one exits........ short of using a gun....maybe......works for me. DAing makes the matter happen quickly and honestly. The only thing I dislike is that one is lumped in with those who have acted in a depraved manner. A DA person is exercising their freedom from religion.

Shunning is at the heart of the JW's mental illness........ to be compelled to do that to one's family and friends becomes an infection that compromises their humanity. It is their loss. And just as they disrespect your principles one has to disrespect, or at least ignore theirs.

Someone who is still in needs to ask which other religions shun?

The Mormons, Amish & Scientology are three of the most prominent. That's who stand with the JW'S. What do other religions do to people who decide to leave......nothing. Are they shunned? They are not compelled to and in general are not shunned. They can still meet and greet friends and family.

Having gotten that off my chest........ congratulations on taking back your lives....getting on with living....doing it together and apparently having a hell of a good time!

At some point in the lives of those who leave........ remaining an active JW becomes toxic.

Oh yeah........ here's a happy for you....... tearing up that suicide note you were told to carry around so you would not get a life saving transfusion.

• just fine
    just fine

Congrats! It just keeps getting better. I have been out for more than 15 years and life is great. I love the freedom to believe as I wish, and change my mind if I find new evidence. 🍻 enjoy your freedom!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit