April 2019 Watchtower article 'Uphold the TRUTH about death'

by Listener 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I was once told that the African brothers are not "very intellectual" as an example, you can't just tell them gambling is wrong. You have to list every possible types of gambling because they can't figure things out for themselves.

• Giordano
    Giordano

There are no 'deep things' in any religion just a deeper pile of bull shit like the JW's, the Mormons, the Amish...... and by the way the Amish really know everything about piles of shit, the Scientologist, the Christiam Scientist......... who is not really a Christian and never a scientist and any church in Christianity or Islam. Let me also give a shout out to Hindu's and Jews.

It's always been garbage in........ garbage out.

God bless your all in 2019!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

The Africans in our congregation in Spain were allowed to keep a lot of their beliefs and prejudices especially those against women. Wives were completely in subjection to their husbands and could barely speak unless what they wanted to say was pre approved by hubby.

Our book servant was from Nigeria and he wouldn't distribute literature to single sisters we had to get a married sister or brother to ask for what we wanted. That annoyed me but when I asked an elder to ask him to let me get my own literature I was asked to do it his way.

Studies with the African refugees was done with the society's children's colouring books. There was one or 2 lines per page and even tho we tried to teach them God's name was Jehovah they never grasped God and Jesus weren't the same and we were advised to just let them call God Jesus.

It was always a pleasant study (it rarely rains or is cold in Fuerteventura) as we were banned by the Red Cross housing where they stayed so we did it under trees in the local park. (No appointment necessary) A very easy few hours because often as one study finished someone else would come in to the park to ask if we could "study" with them too.

• Half banana
    Half banana

It is in Africa that JWs are seeing an increase. There have been long standing devastating wars in the tropical regions of the continent but things are now generally quieter in the Congos, Ruwanda and Angola. The consequence is a burgeoning young and jobless population with little sense of the history of JWs, no internet as yet and a culture which requires everyone to have a religion--but you don't have to take it too seriously! Remember religion after all is a charm which will protect you from bad spirits. . .

So in post-war Africa, the lure of a world without violence under God's rule sounds attractive like motherhood or apple pie do; a jolly good thing! It's false but that is what is on offer from JWs.

I imagine that the cost of preaching to these people will be higher than the expected income from them and when the internet becomes universal, the numbers will fall away just as they are doing in the developed world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit