Binky Use

by ThinkerBelle 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThinkerBelle
    ThinkerBelle

I am trying to find the ridiculous beliefs JW had on the use of a binky or pacifier. I did a search, but can't find it, I know others have referenced it on here. I'm trying to share with my husband; we're talking about the stupid doctrines they came up with in the early years.

Thanks!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I can`t help you with what you ask about binky or pacifier , but how about the calendar put out by the Society with new names for months and days if I remember correctly.?

It didn`t take on of course .

• tiki
    tiki

I wonder if you are thinking of something that was a local prejudice...I don't recall anything negative about them...in fact I only remember babies and toddlers sucking on them pretty much all the time...

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

The Golden Age 1919 November 26 p.153:

Even years ago it was known by some people that the use of pacifiers by babies is one of the chief causes of diseased and enlarged tonsils and adenoid growths, which results from the suction.

ThinkerBelle, Ken Raines has some articles archived that discuss a lot of those wacky quacky beliefs and practices that you may find interesting:

http://archive.li/tiN09

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    OrphanCrow: The Golden Age 1919 November 26 p.153:
    Even years ago it was known by some people that the use of pacifiers by babies is one of the chief causes of diseased and enlarged tonsils and adenoid growths, which results from the suction.

Wow...'Mother's' micromanaging our lives has taken on a new perspective and meaning!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Binkys- NO

Stroking of genitals- YES

Jehovah sure is weird...🤔

DD

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    DataDog: Jehovah sure is weird...

Yeah. And he lives in Pleiades. Or...at least he used to. I think he moved recently. Condos must have been selling cheap elsewhere. Real estate value fluctuations and all that...or maybe it got too crowded. Or maybe Jehovah up and packed his bags once da' judge arrived - God couldn't stand Joe messing the place up

The constellation of the seven stars forming the Pleiades appears to be the crowning center around which the known systems of the planets revolve.... It has been suggested, and with much weight, that one of the stars of that group is the dwelling place of Jehovah and the place of the highest heavens;....
    The constellation of the Pleiades is a small one compared with others which scientific instruments disclose to the wondering eyes of man. But the greatness in size of other stars or planets is small when compared to the Pleiades in importance, because the Pleiades is the place of the eternal throne of God.
    J. F. Rutherford, Reconciliation, 1928, p. 14.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    JWGoneBad: Wow...'Mother's' micromanaging our lives has taken on a new perspective and meaning!

Well...I don't think that the wacky ideas put forth in the Golden Age were directives from the org. Medical beliefs in early 20th C in America were (and still are) a bit "off" and the early Bible Students embraced many quack notions. And published them and promoted them.

If you think that the idea that a pacifier will cause tonsillitis is nuts...woe is the one who actually gets tonsillitis.

Tonsillectomy is called a minor operation. If so, getting well is a double major. If any overzealous doctor condemns your tonsils go and commit suicide with a case-knife. It's cheaper and less painful.
    - Golden Age April 7, 1926, p. 438
  • WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

I know my wife was told over and over and over that my Manhood could not be used as a binki. So started many years of bad sex.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Not to hijack this thread but there were many stupid and ignorant proclamations made by the WTS's leaders.

The WTS once stated that Jehovah and his son reside in the Pleiades star cluster.

Most likely referencing certain scriptures in the old testament and the new.

In the Old Testament and Hebrew Bible, there are three direct references to the Pleiades in Job 9:9 and 38:31, and Amos 5:8, while there is a single indirect reference to the open star cluster in the Christian New Testament. This latter passage (Revelation 1:16) describes a vision of the coming of the Messiah – who holds, in his right hand, seven stars.

The Book of Job makes many references to the stars including the Pleiades.

According to the Bible, Job was a very fortunate man with great wealth, and a healthy family. He was also very good and pious. When Satan tells God that Job is only a faithful man because he has such a wonderful life, God says to Satan that he can take everything from Job except his life so that Job can prove his devotion.

And so Satan does… Poor Job loses everyone he loves and everything he has, but even in his despair he continues to have faith. Here in chapter 9 he is talking to his friends about the power of God:

“He shakes the earth from its place
    and makes its pillars tremble.
    He speaks to the sun and it does not shine;
    he seals off the light of the stars.
    He alone stretches out the heavens
    and treads on the waves of the sea
    He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
    the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.”

But by chapter 38, Job starts to have some questions for God. God reminds Job that he is all powerful and cannot really be questioned, responding:

“Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades, Or loosen the cords of Orion?
    Can you lead out the constellations in their seasons, or guide the Bear with its cubs?
    Do you know the laws of heaven? Can you impose its authority on earth? ”

And finally in Amos, the Pleiades and Orion turn up again when describing God, saying:

“He who made the Pleiades and Orion
    And changes deep darkness into morning,
    Who also darkens day into night,
    Who calls for the waters of the sea
    And pours them out on the surface of the earth,
    The LORD is His name.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit