GUMBY... you posted Bogus info on BUSH

by Double Edge 4 Replies latest social current

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

GUMBY: I like ya man, but check out your sources before inadvertantly spreading LIES... In case you didn't read this reply to your post re: President Bush's I.Q. here it goes again....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/62621/2.ashx

GUMBY.... What you posted earlier about Bush's I.Q. was from a BOGUS report... this is the correct information:

The Lovenstein Institute IQ ReportIn July 2001 an e-mail (see below) began to circulate around the internet claiming that the Lovenstein Institute, a think-tank based in Scranton, Pennsylvania, had conducted research into the IQ of all the Presidents of the past 50 years and concluded that George W. Bush ranked at the bottom, with an IQ of only 91. This news quickly gained attention from the international media. The London Guardian broke the story on July 19, and on August 26 Garry Trudeau featured the report in his Doonesbury comic strip.

Unfortunately both Trudeau and the Guardian had been taken in by a hoax. The e-mail had originated as a joke on a website called linkydinky.com. In its original version, the joke was evident. For instance, Linkydinky.com cited the Pennsylvania Court Observer as its source for the news, but this paper was simultaneously described as having a circlation of only five readers. Furthermore, Dr. Lovenstein was described as "living in a mobile home in Scranton, Pennsylvania." As the joke began to make its way through people's e-mail, these textual clues were removed, making it appear that the Lovenstein Institute was an actual research organization. Once they learned of their mistakes, both Trudeau and the Guardian published retractions.

• Satanus
    Satanus

A new thread just to correct a mistake on amother thread?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    A new thread just to correct a mistake on amother thread?

Only because it's late and I find that more times than not some people don't return to correct their mistakes, and in this case the falsehood perpetuates. It's not personal... like I said, it was inadvertantly posted.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Its a big mistake! It's really 92, damn reporters anyway.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The original researchers didn't consider Bush's dyslexia - his IQ is not 91, it is 19.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit