An offer in exchange for some help.

by JeffT 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

As some of you might recall, I self-published a novel last fall. I hoped “Armageddon’s Disciples” would be successful as my previous works (an alternate history trilogy) had done well.

Not so with “Disciples.” I’ve sold a total of nine copies. It’s not that people don’t like it, it’s getting no attention at all. (My beta readers and proofreader loved it). I’m surprised the book has not produced more interest as it deals with sexual scandals and false prophecies within a high-control religion, a church I created for the book.

This is the back jacket description:

“When three “Disciples” of the Word of God Foundation discover seventeen-year-old Alice Lahti dead in their meeting hall, police detective Ed Franklin quickly finds a tangled web of toxic relationships, sexual abuse, blackmail, murder, and bizarre failed prophecies. Unable to penetrate the Disciples’ closed world, Ed recruits his neighbor, Keith Thornton, a former member, to guide him.

Already “Cast-out” for heresy and facing shunning by family and friends, Keith has nothing left to lose. His wife has left him because he no longer believes in The Word. By helping the police investigation, Keith marks himself as a “Forsaker”, one who has deliberately turned his back on The Lord. Keith hopes his assistance will provide meaning to the havoc the religion created in his life.

As stories of sexual abuse and the body count rises, investigators struggle to unravel the secret world of “Armageddon’s Disciples.””

So (being honest) I want to create some interest and sales or find out why I’m not attracting readers. I would like to recruit three or four members of this board to read it and write reviews. All I need is your address so I can send the books. I’ll even autograph them, although I don’t think my signature is worth anything 😊. All information will stay confidential, I will not give out or sell any private information. If you are interested, please PM me.

Jeff Thomas

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

How many pages is it, Jeff?

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

So (being honest) I want to create some interest and sales or find out why I’m not attracting readers.

I don't think it has anything to do with your book, I think people are so busy and concern with what is happening with Russia and Ukraine that their attention is on that and nothing else. I saw on the news that books on Russia and Ukraine were selling like hotcakes.

Not sure if this is true but I heard that , Moby Dick, when it first came out, was very poorly received. A few years after the death of the author Herman Melville, it became a very popular book.

Like they say, "Timing is Everything"

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Maybe no one is interested in that type of story at this time.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Dropoffyourkeylee: 326 pages.

Pistolpete I published it last fall. Like I said I sold 9 copies, then nothing. The alternate history is still selling a few copies every month two years after I published the first one. I marketed to several military and history sites I belong to, people that I know are very caught up in the European situation. Some are still reading fiction.

Yes, Moby Dick flopped at first. Lots of books had trouble coming out of the starting gate and later became big sellers. Both John Grisham and J K Rowling were rejected by lots of publishers early on.

Silentbuddha: I've considered that possibility. I just released a new historical novel, the jury on that one is still out.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Jeff, I'll participate. And yes, I want it autographed!

I'll send you a PM

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Do yourself a favour and get this post on the ex-JW REDDIT group. There are so many people on there it's not even funny. That'll drum up some interest. No offense to Simon at all, but the exJW REDDIT group is truly #1 as far as sheer volume of people on it right now, and will probably continue to be. I enjoy both, hence I post on both.

Best of luck to you...........

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I agree with WingCommander. Exposure is everything. If I read it I will buy it. I believe in supporting writers.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Wing commander, I'm on Reddit and posted an announcement when I first published it. I'll do it again, I need to order a few more author copies before I do much more.

• Smiles
    Smiles

JeffT

Armageddon's Disciples sounds like a good plot for film. Maybe convert the story to a screenplay write?

I would pay admission to view a movie version!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit