Have you driven in a country that drives on the opposite side of the road?

by FondaCox 11 Replies latest jw friends

• FondaCox
    FondaCox

Did you drive? If so, how nerve wracking was it for you? I'd be terrified i'd stop concentrating for a moment and out of habit make a right turn at a red light into oncoming traffic.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Yes! Hong Kong picked up that nasty habit from the British. Took a lot of concentration.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Not only driving on the "wrong" side of the road but with a stick shift on the wrong side of the driver.

• FondaCox
    FondaCox

Not only driving on the "wrong" side of the road but with a stick shift on the wrong side of the driver.

Please tell me the clutch was still with the left foot, though.....

• fulano
    fulano

I would not call it the wrong side. I have been several times in England, the first two or three days it is strange, especially at the roundabouts, but after some days you get used to it.

• Simon
    Simon

Technically, people always drive on opposite sides of the road, except for occasional drunk or senile drivers.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Just as a passenger in a taxi in the Bahamas. Absolutely terrifying but city traffic terrifies me anyway. Australian would not let American service men rent cars in t h e Vietnam era. Too dangerous.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough
    I was a passenger in the Virgin Islands...we rented a vehicle to traverse St Johns...One fellow drove in the morning and Mr x was teasing him about his driving...all in good fun. Well booze was cheap enough and by dark, the morning driver who had been drinking on and off all day wasn't a safe bet on the driving. So Mr x drove to our lodging and the morning driver was making fun and mocking his driving but in a malicious way. ( I called him out on it and told him to apolgise to Mr x, which he said he would but never did. ) (4 of us had gone to St. Thomas to work and I had negotiated the job and was responsible for the others- and I really did have to baby sit 3 adults!-another story!)
  • enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I personally drove on the wrong side( sort of) of the road once. It was very strange. There was a gas station not far from my home, I bought gas, and when I pulled out of the station onto the road, I literally could not remember which side of the road to drive on. My thought was I don't have far to go and I will just straddle the road and get out of the way if a car is coming towards me. Very odd...I was in my 20's.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I live in one.

I've never driven in a country outside the UK. I've been in a bus and car in Canada. It was weird being on the opposite side to a degree but not a bad experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit