Has the threat of being shunned caused the organization to be unclean

by poopie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• poopie
    poopie

I keep hearing stories of rank and file publishers involved in gross wrongdoing but because they fear of the possibility of being shunned they only tell those who will not report them to elders . And they continue to go out on service and conduct bible studies and stay in good standing with cong even going to many social gatherings.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I suspect that is true as many "sins" go unreported so as to avoid any "punishment" (I mean, loving counsel).

• DJS
    DJS
    Unclean? The most unclean thing about the cult is the threat of shunning, not the normal, natural things that people do.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To be more exact the threat of shunning, create elements of secrecy.

It seems there is a vow of secrecy by friends who are willing to break the rules so to speak.

This includes sexual behavior, alcohol, money matters. etc

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I thought this dude's letter to the society explained things quite well as to why many witnesses hold back from confessing their sins to the elders. Link below

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5152842138517504/letter-1-governing-body-jehovahs-witnesses

• flipper
    flipper

The WT organization has been " unclean " since it's inception in 1879. LOL. Shunning is just another item on a long laundry list of practices that makes Jehovah's Witness a criminal organization

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

It became obvious to me over the years that the shunning policy did not make better Christians, only better liars and hypocrites.

• waton
    waton

Even David, the wt's darling, hat to be confronted with the facts for him to admit the hiding and murderous cover-up of his Bathsheba / Uriah deed. Elders too, if they can fake innocence, and hide it for a couple of years, are spared the loving shunning discipline.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    poopie - "Has the threat of being shunned caused the organization to be unclean?"

No.

But it's helped.

• sir82
    sir82

I keep hearing stories of rank and file publishers involved in gross wrongdoing but because they fear of the possibility of being shunned they only tell those who will not report them to elders . And they continue to go out on service and conduct bible studies and stay in good standing with cong even going to many social gatherings.

This is a pretty succinct summary of "JW culture" as it has existed for the past 40-50 years, maybe longer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit