The festival of Thanksgiving...have a good one my American Friends!

by shotgun 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• shotgun
    shotgun

This could probably be under friends but it has a belief twist in it.

Enjoy your time with family and friends this long weekend and give thanks for all that is good.

I know many of you turkeys will be scared though...run ..run for your lives.

I don't think there can be too much wrong with the celebration considering the nation of Israel celebrated with the festival of Ingathering or Harvest, almost sounds identical when you think about it.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    I don't think there can be too much wrong with the celebration considering the nation of Israel celebrated with the festival of Ingathering or Harvest, almost sounds identical when you think about it.

I asked the CO at pioneer school a year ago why it was wrong to celebrate Thanksgiving, since Israel celebrated a harvest festival. He grinned and said: "Let's just say that's a very good question."

I know dubs who get together and have turkey on that day (or sometimes on Friday, for appearances' sake). They just don't call it Thanksgiving.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I'm going over my new aunt-in-law's for turkey dinner...

Mmmmm... Turkey....

Also, a memory of a brief moment in American history when the red and white actually sat down together in peace. It is possible for us to get along, folks.

I'm thankful for being dubless.

CZAR

• franklin J
    franklin J

thank you , Shotgun

I have been enjoying the holidays with my non JW wife and small children for some time. This year we are all volunteering in a soup kitchen.

Hopefully this will give the kids a perspective that life is not all the "wrappings and ribbons" that their little world is made up of; the perspective is good for all of us. The world ( although it is great outside JW land) is still not a fair place, and there are many underpriveldged people, who , through bad luck or bad circumstances, do not have food or a place to sleep. There are other REAL issues in this world besides the ones that the Watchtower has created.

frank

• calamityjane
    calamityjane
    This year we are all volunteering in a soup kitchen

That's a wonderful thing to do.

love

cj

• Sassy
    Sassy

We are getting together with SimpleSally tomorrow.

The one thing I wondered about, my bf said it was the custom of his family to ALWAYS have two meat meals for Thanksgiving. (ie., Turkey and Prime Rib, or Turkey and Ham). I did ask someone at work and she said OH yes, you have to have two. I never heard fo that. There seems like there is always so many left overs as it is. My dads side of the family who were not JWs and now and then I did get to go to their place when I was young with my dad, only had turkey..

Is it usual for the rest of you who celebrate to have two meals of meat?

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

sns...we always have two meats. Turkey and ham. One year I cooked a duck. Don't know why, though. Just to please everyone, probably.

Happy Thanksgiving, all. And I'm thankful to be another day older!

• mizpah
    mizpah

Many thanks from our Canadian friends.

It's the one holiday I really enjoy as it centers on family, friends and good food.

As I understand it, Canadians also have a Thanksgiving day earlier in the year. Is this correct?

• Don Smith
    Don Smith

Hi Shotgun and a happy thanksgiving.

Its nice to get back on line after my computer collapse. As regards thanksgiving my mom who pioneered for many years and brought over 20 families into the TRUTH ? whom were all lined up at one of our assemblys would always invite us 3 children and our families to dinner on thanksgiving as well as on christmas day and mom,s apple pie,turkey and ham were most FULLfilling.and a good time was had by all .

Here is some Good News , Martin Wong dropped by and brought along a Chinese pioneer sister who was on her way out after confiding in an elder who cautioned her not to discuss her doubts with others.Later on a 3 elder mtg, was arranged and she was requested to readjust her thinking . After a 3 hour grilling she stood her ground and confidently placed the book Crisis of conscience with 1 elder who had later expressed some interest.Her family is in China and spoke of going back to visit.

Take Care Don

• shotgun
    shotgun

Don I'll send you a PM and an e-mail..thanks for the update.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit