God defeats whole armies, but couldn't defeat '' the men in Iron chariots''

by RULES & REGULATIONS 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Judges 1

New International Version

Israel Fights the Remaining Canaanites

1 After the death of Joshua, the Israelites asked the Lord, “Who of us is to go up first to fight against the Canaanites?”

2 The Lord answered, “Judah shall go up; I have given the land into their hands.”

3 The men of Judah then said to the Simeonites their fellow Israelites, “Come up with us into the territory allotted to us, to fight against the Canaanites. We in turn will go with you into yours.” So the Simeonites went with them.

4 When Judah attacked, the Lord gave the Canaanites and Perizzites into their hands, and they struck down ten thousand men at Bezek. 5 It was there that they found Adoni-Bezek and fought against him, putting to rout the Canaanites and Perizzites.

17 And Judah went with his brother Simeon, and they attacked the Canaanites who inhabited Zephath, and utterly destroyed it. So the name of the city was called Hormah.

18 Also Judah took Gaza with its territory, Ashkelon with its territory, and Ekron with its territory.

19 So the Lord was with Judah. And they drove out the mountaineers, but they could not drive out the inhabitants of the lowland, because they had chariots of iron.

20 And they gave Hebron to Caleb, as Moses had said. Then he [d]expelled from there the three sons of Anak.

The children of Israel need help in fighting the Canaanites. They needed all the help they could find! They go to God for help. How does God help Judah? ... ''the Lord gave the Canaanites and Perizzites into their hands, and they struck down ten thousand men at Bezek.''

So far, so good! They destroy cities and territories. The drive out mountaineers, but they could not drive out the inhabitants of the lowland, because they had chariots of iron.

Really! God cannot defeat ''chariots of iron''? Why couldn't God make the wheels fall off? Why didn't God make sure the wheels had no grease?

The more you examine the Bible you just find out it's just another silly story!

• waton
    waton

If there is a creator, or user of eternal energy, the bible certainly paints a good caricature of him/her. and

perhaps israel was still achin- from Achan heavy metal hidden somewhere/

• Overrated
    Overrated

Speaking of Gee-hober 's chariot, broken down on the side of the freeway with four flat tires and no sign of help on the way.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Keep in mind that were are getting just notes and not a complete play by play script of all events in the bible.

It could be that Joshua was informing his listeners that they had the power to drive out the Canaanites only if they would follow God faithfully and be confident in His promises. Judges chapter 2:1-3 says:

Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: “I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, ‘I will never break My covenant with you. And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’ ”

God’s promise through Joshua was not an unconditional guarantee that the children of Israel would possess all of the land they had been promised. It was conditional, based upon the faithfulness of the Israelites and their obedience to God’s commandments. God could have chosen not to clear some of the land because of the disobedience of the people of Judah.

Additionally, notice that Joshua said that “the mountain country” and “its farthest extents” were the promised possession of the Israelites. In Judges 1:19, the children of Israel did, indeed, drive out “the inhabitants of the mountains.” We don't have to force the phrase “its farthest extents” in Joshua 17:18 to read “lowland” as in Judges 1:19.

If we don't do that, then there is no seeming contradiction at all.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I wouldn't say the Bible is just a silly story. Whether the events took place or not does not have any bearing on the message. I would say much of the Bible is story. Some happened, but probably not as described in scripture.

In line with the OP I would have to say that if the scripture reads the iron chariots could not be defeated, then they could not be defeated. Any answer to as why would also have to come from scripture or some other writings otherwise it is just mere speculation.

Here is a better question to ask - What evidence is their that any of this actually took place? Western culture has cursed itself by trying to force history into the confines of the Bible.

• menrov
    menrov

True story or not, point remains: Why killing and driving out inhabitants of a piece of land just because you want your own people to live there.

It is like a blackmail approach: you either worship me or you will be killed.

If Satan was / is such a bad character, the worst of all, why not kill him in order to protect "your" people?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    If Satan was / is such a bad character, the worst of all, why not kill him in order to protect "your" people?

https://www.vocativ.com/news/309748/all-the-people-god-kills-in-the-bible/index.html

There are 160 separate killing sprees in the Bible for which God is demonstrably to blame. That number includes every slaughter in the Old and New testaments, and also in Aprocrypha, the contested books which are included in the Roman Catholic Bible but disregarded from the Hebrew version. A total of 2,821,364 deaths are specifically enumerated in scripture as either directly orchestrated by God, or carried out with his assistance or approval. Satan, on the other hand, notches up only 10 kills.

Most of the time, God is a big fan of the Israelites. The Lord plays some part in killing 1,050,009 of the their enemies throughout the good book—a big assist. They do their part, though, righteously slaying 1,540,494 people in the name of the Lord for wrongs against them. The Bible’s biggest individual assassin is David, the second king of the United Kingdom of Israel and God’s favorite monarch, who smote, slew and slaughtered 81,050 people on the Lord’s behalf. In 2 Samuel, he carries out what is arguably his most grotesque killing—and that’s saying a lot, considering David commits massacres and genocides in a single book. In order to buy a daughter from Saul, the first king of Israel, and make her his wife, he gifts him 200 Philistine foreskins. “David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins … And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to wife.” (2 Samuel 18:27). Quite the dowry.

• perdurabo
    perdurabo

You do know it's myth ....right?

What's next....a critique of Santa Claus's M.O?

And R&R/truthbknown.....myth isn't just a "silly story"....that's only your perception.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    You do know it's myth ....right?

Yes! I'm showing how these Bible stories are beyond ''myth''. Calling them ''silly'' is calling these stories : weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish, absurd, ridiculous, irrational

• perdurabo
    perdurabo

Well....is the story of "the king has no clothes".....ludicrous too?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit