My son is not sure about what he has been taught about the common ancestor

by KateWild 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am not misrepresenting your efforts intentionally Cofty. Sorry. It's just complicated to me.

Kate xx

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Nathan Natas, new age junk science = Common Core Standards and massive testing. It was a political move to force into all school systems. Thankfully, the huge monetary "carrot" didn't fool all of those in charge of the school systems, and now this common core and (constant testing) is even being removed by many systems. ( a HUGE deal when a system refuses funding due to the disastrous nature of this program) The grade level of teaching is placed too high for the youngest grades, creating frustration and many times a dislike for learning. Then as the school grades progress, the materiel has been dumbed down. http://www.conservativedailynews.com/2015/03/some-fundamental-problems-with-common-core/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/10/23/the-science-of-the-common-core-experts-weigh-in-on-its-developmental-appropriateness/#65e4287c77cc

To quote Marc Tucker " take algebra 2 out of schools", and also his dismissal of classic literature as "not so relevant"

So much research out there about this subject it's hard to know where to begin....

For me it began with a first grader that already hated school. I knew something was horribly wrong. My other three children loved school, loved learning, and all now have advanced secondary degrees.

So, if a school is not teaching biology subject you think should be so simply standard for education in the US, think again.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

And responded with "for hundreds of years schools have been teaching things and have changed their thoughts". He gave me an example which I can't remember now.

Schools, that is to say "good schools", aren't the same as church where the students/laity sit silently and absorb the dogma handed down from on high and unchanged since the Bronze Age. Critical thinking means to listen and learn AND question, examine, prove, and improve. In my field of study, the very basics are only a few hundred years old. One of the textbooks we were using in class had a section that was already outdated by improved formulas. All of my professors were clear about the fact that there is much more to discover and we may find things that contradict what was previously understood. Embrace the change. Lead the change. Then when we're rich and/or famous, remember our alma mater!

Isaac Newton is famous for what he got right. But a lot of what he wrote was WRONG! Does that discredit all his work? Of course not. He wasn't writing a sacred bible that was a know-all, end-all. Others examined, corrected, and improved on the foundation he laid. And in the field of research into human evolution, the greatest discoveries are of recent origin with DNA research. SURPRISE! Neanderthals didn't just mysteriously die off. Some of us are carrying about 5% of their DNA in ours.

From a scientific point of view, there is much more to research and discover.

From the religious fundamentalist point of view, there's always just one answer:

I told him that what they teach in school is trustworthy and he can be rest assured that there is evidence to support that the common ancestor was the real link to the evolution of humans.... I don't care if my son believes in God or not. I just want him to know evolution is a fact.

Don't try to force a specific belief on him or make what is taught in school become a religious doctrine that he dare not question. Allow him to think critically. He's already said, correctly...

"for hundreds of years schools have been teaching things and have changed their thoughts".

Time for more critical thinking on this subject of educational evolution. Technically, "public education" has only been available for the last 200 years. Previous to that "schools" were only for the elite. If he is thinking that it's wrong for schools to evolve with the times, does he really want to go back to living the way they did hundreds of years ago? Sure, lots of rich white men were "successful" during those earlier centuries, but they often died young of tuberculosis, smallpox, cholera, typhus, measles, scarlet fever, etc. And if the diseases didn't kill you, the treatment by "medical professionals" of the time would easily kill you in horrible ways.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a good thing that schools are now teaching doctors, as well as the general public that might get jobs in food service, the importance of hand-washing, for example. If your son prefers the "good old days" when people would bathe only when they fell in the river, well, I just don't know what to tell you. LOL

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Witness My Fury - "I think Kate is trolling again..."

Um, how can someone troll their own thread?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

She has past form of doing this, that's why i said it.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Evolution is not a fact. The alternative is not limited to the god of the jews and the bible either. Evolution also does not answer where everything started. As of now there do not exist any answers that can be undisputed, replicated, and zero doubts. Either believe some unknown start to life that then evolved to every form of life or some intelligent design by another lifeform that still doesn't answer where they came from and couldnt unless we learn more about them.

• cofty
    cofty
    Evolution is not a fact.

Yes of course it is. It is as certain as the fact that the earth is not flat.

Evolution also does not answer where everything started.

And gravity does not explain why ice cream tastes good. What's your point?

As of now there do not exist any answers that can be undisputed, replicated, and zero doubts

Every living thing evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years. There are zero doubts about this fact.

Take the challenge...

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Vidiot17 hours ago

Witness My Fury - "I think Kate is trolling again..."

Um, how can someone troll their own thread?

Well Vidiot, WMF obviously doesn't like me. Some posters have predjudices and that's life. It might be something to do with the fact I know more about chemistry than him. Or it might just be because I believe in God. Who knows. But I have got passed caring.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

Kate xx

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Yes of course it is. It is as certain as the fact that the earth is not flat.

Exactly.

There are only interpretations.

• KateWild
    KateWild

We went to a museum together and looked at all the skulls dating back 7 million years to today.

He grasped the fact that it's a slow process of change and that it is small changes that take place. So inspite of the fact there are not more skulls and links there is a picture and there is evidence that humans came from a common ancestor.

I will do some of the recommended reading too.

Thanks everyone for your input except WMF.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit