My son is not sure about what he has been taught about the common ancestor

by KateWild 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Lol Angus.... I have to admit some of the science in "The Greatest Show on Earth" was accurate and easy to comprehend.

But Dawkins is very condescending to believers and I don't want my son to be condescending to people.

I am thinking about it. Okay??

Kate xx

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"Science" is a method of evaluating information and forming models for explaining everything from simple matters, like why the sky is blue, to more complex issues; the most complicated and controversial issue seems to revolve around how we got here.

Guess what? Nobody knows how we got here, and new evidence will continue to be found, scrutinized, rejected, reevaluated, laughed at, ignored, accepted, lauded, ect. We may never really know how, or why we are here. Is there any "plan" regarding humans? Who knows? Maybe we really are all alone, a fluke of Nature's random events?

Did we evolve from a common ancestor? That's what the experts say the evidence points to. I can't argue against it. That being said, I Would encourage your son to reason it out for himself. Just impress upon him the need to be objective, and to never stop learning.

I would encourage him not to worship anything, not even Science. Being a worshipper of "Science" to the exclusion of all else, in my opinion, is just as self-limiting as worshipping a Bronze Age deity.

The best advice that I can give as a parent is this:

1) Think about where your parents failed you, ( Yeah, they did. All parents fail their children in some way. Why? You can't teach what you weren't taught. ) and be determined to give your child what you did not receive. Now that you know, you have a responsibility to teach.

2) Never try to live vicariously through your child. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, your child unconditionally! How many of us truly felt that kind of love growing up? I never did, and I don't know if I ever will. The feeling of insecurity caused by being constantly judged, espescially against ancient characters in a book, cannot be quantified.

However we got here is not as important as what we do while we are here. Worrying about proteins and DNA, arguing about "GOD", all those things pale in comparison to LOVE and LIFE.

How many science/religious debates will really matter if you look back, decades from now, and realize that you wasted precious time, time you cannot recover?

Your child won't remember all the conversations about DNA or all the theoretical discussions about a "common ancestor." They will remember that they had an awesome, judgment free, unconditionally love-filled day with you, and that you always supported them, and made them feel loved and secure.

In the end, isn't that what we all want? Some people never find that, but you have the opportunity to provide that for your child. To me, that's more important than anything else.

DD ( Mic-drop.....🎤.......😘 )

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I think Kate is trolling again, nothing more than that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

KateWild - "I asked him if you believe that God created all the species that exist today, do you believe they all fitted in the ark which was smaller than the Titanic?...I then asked him if the ark settled in the Middle East how did the kangaroos get to Australia and the the penguins to the North Pole?"

When I finally gave myself permission to learn about evolution from a source that wasn't obviously biased against it, I - surprisingly - found it so natural, effective, and above all, plausible (not to mention it did a way better job explaining the weirder shit in nature), that I realized the only real obstacle to accepting it was the insistance that Genesis be literal.

Once you let that go, it's easy.

Unfortunately (or not, depending on you POV), creationism is so thouroughly intertwined with fundamentalist Christian theology that the legitimacy of said theology often ends up going out the window along with it.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Just go show him human chromosome number two. Theres and obvious mutation since chromosome two is two chromosomes fused into one . Thier are what's called talameres on each end of a chromosome , kinda like tails . Chromosome two shows two tales fused together near the middle of the chromosome . Proof of a mutation and evolution in the human species.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

As a follow-up to my previous comment (and something I don't think Cofty has touched on yet ) is the fact that the world around us is actually in a constant state of change - climate, topography, you name it.

For life to continue to survive said change, life itself would need the capacity to change and adapt to it, along with it.

Otherwise it goes extinct.

Since life on Earth is most assuredly not extinct, it stands to reason that it has the capacity to change and adapt, and always has.

Multiply those constant changes and adaptations over hundreds of millions of years (and hundreds of millions of constantly changing environments), and you can't help but inevitably have what can only be described as...

...evolution.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Um at the risk of sounding picky, and I wasn't going to say anything but you've repeated it Vidiot.... penguins are in the Antarctic not the Arctic.

• KateWild
    KateWild

DD, you make a very good point. Thanks for your post. I really appreciate it. Having a good relationship with my son and having happy memories is my priority.

WMF, I don't know what you're definition of trolling is. But I think it people lying and and deliberately upsetting others. That is not me.

Kate xx

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Maybe not having the interest or desire to understand biology is part of the problem.

Ask your son what an amoeba or cytoplasm is. He likely knows.

This is middle school biology, at least in the US. Then it gets taught again in high school, and then to get a degree you need university level Biology 101.

It's not difficult and to shut down a line of reasoning just because you have neither the "interest nor the desire" seems puzzling to me.

• KateWild
    KateWild

GT,

You're incredibly condescending and disrespectful. Not having an interest in biology is not a problem in my opinion.

My son is learning osmosis in biology right now and I actually find it interesting and remember what I learnt at school.

I have the courage and strength to admit what I don't grasp and the intelligence and ability to explain the complex things I have knowledge of that I do grasp. Such as chemistry. There is no shame in admitting what you don't know. It's actually very arrogant to expect everyone can learn everything because it puts you in a place of never being able to admit you don't understand something.

My point about the amoeba is that it's in cofty's thread which I don't understand which is not high school biology. So his threads are not suitable for this purpose.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit