Do we blame the Governing Body too much?

by no-zombie 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I'd like to start this post with a part from the movie 'V for Vendetta'. Here in a dystopian state, the main character named V, explains why things have gone so bad ...

Those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well, certainly, there are those who are more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable. But again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. They were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic, you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.

From this and from a loose quote from Winston Churchill who said that "political leaders are just a reflection of their peoples", I would like to propose that while everyone blames the Governing Body for the behavior of the Organization, ultimately does not the real problem lie with Jehovah's Witnesses themselves and their own temperament?

I asked this question, to raise the idea that our bitter criticism of the Governing Body could be tempered perhaps with a look towards those who support them ... the general Brotherhood and their own responsibility in keeping them in power.

Now some may say that I was born into this Faith, cultured or formed by it and I have known nothing else. And that would be true for many of us, me included. However aside from the whole nature-nurture discussion, there does comes a point (and it might only be one single moment of clarity) when all of us see and understand our religion for what it is. Yet most Witnesses allow this epiphany to pass for the reasons mentioned by V. Thus I can only conclude, that most who attend a congregation have made a deal within themselves (either consciously or subconsciously) to accepted the Faithful Slaves' promises and agreed with the personal compromises, because their world views, their behaviors and attitudes, already harmonize with what is coming from the platform.

Why do I say this? Simply because, despite five successive generations of Witnesses never seeing the promised paradise in their lifetime (which has always been the Society's key prophesy); the Faith continues to exist. And if we are brutally honest, by far the greatest majority of those who leave the religion, have done so only after being punished or negatively effected by it in some way and not for purely philosophical reasons.

Thus, is not the Jehovah's Witness faith and the Governing Body just not a reflection of the people who attend its meetings?

I'm beginning to think so ... and as a result, perhaps I should look more at myself than others, to understand why things are the way they are.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough
    I think many who become JW think they are being taught the truth from the Bible. Once they discern they have been fooled they get out. People who love justice and truth will eventually figure it out and leave. Is the GB to blame? The are the deceivers, the ones who say we are the ones interpreting the Bible correctly and don't question it or you will be punished--some couldn't take the punishment and have killed themselves. Some fear the punishment and keep their mouths shut and pretend to be good JW...So yes, the congregants are enablers of the abusive GB.
  • ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

When you said five generations that point hit home.

yes I remember a brother in bethel who said he was fifth generation JW. His great great great grandfather was early JW, then his great grandfather was still alive in his 90s. But this was 20 years ago. His grandfather and father were often visiting bethel to see him.

he talked as if he was special because his family were so long time following. But isn’t this just proof that the generation teaching even the overlapping new light is nonsense?

I hear that he is now married with kids so that’s six generation. In another 20 years that maybe 7th generation JW.

All that time it was right around the corner and we keep being told this generation will not pass away?

which generation out of the several?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

some more thoughts on the question as to blaming the GB. I was in 50 years. Things changed. The teaching was we were getting spiritually fed by the remnant of the 144,000 and Their GB...Then it flipped. The fds wasn't the remnant but then 8 men of the GB, I may have just forgotten, but it seems to me once it was determined the fds was the 8 men, that there was a power grab so to speak. YOU had to trust them, You had to obey them. Before it was a remnant scattered all over the earth that supposeablly God was channeling truth to ( in my way of thinking-God helping these spiritual ones to understand the Bible and they told the r and f.) ( not a word of that has proved true) While it true they always expected you to believe without question, we were given a face to 8 men who demanded adoration and respect. They are liken to the voice of Jesus. Because we have come to know the lies they teach ( foremost they have been appointed as fds) and the hate speech that comes from their mouths, others should see and hear it as well...they have to...they are enablers ...even if they are staying in for the sake of not being shunned, they are enablers of the abuse because others are influenced by peer pressure...they think if so and so is still in this and he/she is so spiritual and smart, it must be the truth and who am I to question---when the person they consider the good JW may be PIMO. The original question on this post is valdi.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

After Harold Camping's last failed attempt at predicting the Rapture he repented for his sinful predictions and gave up the prediction game instead of reworking his predictions once again,

All of the Watchtower leaders that have made asses of themselves over the decades, (as Rutherford put it after the Ancient Worthies didn't show up for him), could have done the same, but they chose not to.. If they had eaten some humble pie and admitted that they weren't Jehovah's Channel and that it was them who were guilty of 'running ahead of Jehovah', (not the any of the rank & file who disagreed with them), then you could blame any followers that still chose to follow them. The leaders all had numerous opportunities to do that but most of them chose to carry on the scam, so don't blame their victims.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

While I agree with the OP that those who are PIMA or PIMO have to constantly examine their conscience to see if they may be complicit in perpetuating some of the false or unproven teachings of the GB, I agree more with Black Sheep that ultimately, those who hold more power also bear more responsibility and accountability, simply by virtue of being in a position to change what they say and do at any time if they really wanted to.

Those who still have a faith would note that Luke 12:48 says in part: " Indeed, everyone to whom much was given, much will be demanded of him, and the one who was put in charge of much will have more than usual demanded of him". Also, James 3:1 says: "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, knowing that we will receive heavier judgment". So even from God's perspective, the GB carry the main accountability for what they say and do.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Our decisions are always shaped, in some way, by what is described as a hierarchy of values (I'm not sure if I have the term right). I do agree that a ruling body is granted power by the consent or agreement of those who are governed.

(I also don't think it's anywhere near that simple, but for the general example, it will do.)

For an organization like the WTS, which demands unquestioning acceptance of the GB as the spirit-directed leadership of the rank-and-file on Earth, it's not unusual to see the kind of turnover they do; people who do ask questions will inevitably agree to suppress those thoughts, will leave, or will be removed. But for many, there are other considerations at play.

I know that my mother must feel some mixture of confusion and disappointment that the end hasn't yet arrived, after more than 55 years of expecting it to happen "soon." But she gave up a lot in order to remain a JW, and now she is in her mid-80s and those dreams she had are long since gone. And the only thing she has left is that promise of eternal life on Earth and a chance to finally live the life she thought she would already be living by now. It is the ultimate sunk cost. To give up now is to accept that she wasted her life, and I don't think she can face that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    no-zombie - “Do we blame the Governing Body too much?”

Well…

…since they’ve taken on the mantle of authority and therefore the responsibility to actually fix the problems, I’d say…

…no.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NO-ZOMBIE:

No, I don’t think so.. Besides, don’t these people consider themselves to be the ultimate authority with unimpeachable supposedly bible-based ‘wisdom’?

TONUS OH:

I am sorry about your mom and other Witnesses who grew old (when they were told they wouldn’t). They waited for promises that were never fulfilled. Some of these older JWs might have lived a happy life in spite of waiting.. Maybe they had a good social life and lived comfortably.

But, other older JWs did not. Maybe they gave up decent jobs/careers and pioneered, never planning for retirement. They paid no attention to the clock on the wall as it was ticking away.

It is the ultimate sunk cost and your mom and others might not want to leave now.. This is why I am so glad I Faded’ over two decades ago!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    Do We Blame The GB Too Much?

What kind of question is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit