Doublethink

by Ray Frankz 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted here. I've already made a topic making a comparison between the org and a totalitarian government based on Orwell's Animal Farm. (https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5699607742906368/christian-farm)

Now, basing on another work of his, 1984, I noticed another comparison. In this novel, he tells us about how the totalitarian government of the story control the people with something called DOUBLETHINK that summarizing is "to keep two opposite and conflitant ideas on your mind and accept both of them." When I read the novel, I didnt really understand how it was possible, and I concluded that it wasn't. Well, this month, in the middle week meeting, we studied Matthew 24. I ran a search on google on the subject and I found an article (in portuguese) with a way more sofisticated and reasonable explanation of this.

It said, in a not very long text, that Jesus was talking about TWO different happenings, 1) the destruction of Jerusalém and 2) the judgement day. It put very clear the differences:

The destruction of jerusalém: There would be a signal like wars and diseases; the gospel woulbe be preached and it would occur in that generation.

The judgement day: Nobody can know when is it, the christians should keep on the watch, the world would be proclaiming "peace", not "wars and diseases".

In a few words: Jesus was telling very clearly WHEN Jerusalém would fall while hiding when the world would end. The point is, the JW are taught that He was talking all the time about the same event.

So, it's clearly two different "days", with diffrerent, sometimes opposite characteristics. I think, how I never saw this before? I know the flaws of the org for a long time but I never had seen this. They teach two opposite ideas at the same time. It's the best example of Orwell's doublethink I can think of. Almost 8 million people have at this very moment these opposite ideas on their mind AND THEY ACCEPT BOTH. Creepy. Looks like Orwell was prophet after all.

PS: Good news, after "great tribulation" I made clear to my parents and my girlfriend that the org is not holy and we can't trust it as we trust God. There's no talks about leaving yet, but these things take time. I think important to see now they questioning what they read and listen, and simply not doing things they understand as simply manmade rules.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Hi RF,

I think you will find my post here interesting. It shows an overview of how the Olivet Discourse can be logically broken into separate answers to the disciples two questions.

Here and here I have a linked index to particular details in the Olivet Discourse.

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

Bobcat, exactly that. It's impressive how it can be hard to see a truth after years hearing a lie.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS's doctrines may not have been an accurate interpretation of the bible but they were nevertheless advantageous toward proliferating literature and subsequently exploiting the general public's ignorance on biblical theology.

This religious publishing house created a tainted commercialized version of the Gospel to serve its own needs and purpose $$$, one not adherent to the bible or the words and instructions of Jesus Christ.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I strongly suspect authoritarian leaders find doublethink easy. It's called "compartmentalization".

For example, I've become convinced that the WT leadership knows it's wrong... but believes it's true...

...at the same time.

Hell, they probably scratch their heads as to why some of us find it so difficult.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Hell, they probably scratch their heads as to why some of us find it so difficult.

The GB men of the WTS are saturated in an illusion in which the previous leaders of the WTS created around themselves as chosen and self identified FDSL, in spite of contravening doctrines made by the WTS's leaders.

Obviously the WTS men didn't take in or uphold the admonishment made by Jesus himself toward his followers to not make up a time upon god's own sacred time.

........ well they had literature to sell I guess, it was their sin to make and they did .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit