Religion after the WBTS

by Mysterious 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Just curious who went on to associated themselves with another religion after leaving the Watchtower and whether you still follow the bible or not.

I haven't really decided what I believe but I'll consider almost anything not witness related.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Closet JW

Closet me

Scoob

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I am not religious at this point. My critical examination of the WTS didn't stop there...it continued to even the belief in the bible and God himself. At this point I'm basically an atheist... I have no belief in God.

• JH
    JH

Interesting question. My sister is always inviting me to her religion. She is a Baptist. I keep refusing.

I won't start that again.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I have several very religious friends at school, one is Catholic and the other is Evangelical. I get into some good debates with the Evangelical, they don't turn nasty but the more I talk to her the more convinced I am that Christianity is not for me. If it makes her happy fine, so long as she doesn't try to force me into it. I'm not sure if I believe in the Bible or not anymore, I believe in God that's about it. Or be even more politically correct and say I believe in a Higher Power.

I think once burned twice shy holds a lot of power in this situation. Who really wants to go from one extreme to another? But I did start to find less judgemental belief systems that I'm looking into, Unitarian Universalist looks like a great place to explore sometime.

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

they did such a good job of explaining why every other religion is false, I now have no faith in any organized religion! I just try to be the kindest person I can be, and hope it's contagious.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    they did such a good job of explaining why every other religion is false, I now have no faith in any organized religion

Yeah that happened to me too. A friend of mine really hit the nail on the head though. He told me my mistake was I was comparing all the religions I looked into to Christianity and the bible. Since then I've tried to keep an open mind about things. But I honestly dont think that religion is for everyone. If people concentrated less on what they had to do and more on following their heart and being a good person the world would certainly be a better place. Doing something because you have to just makes you bitter!

• JH
    JH

LuckyNun, we think alike. No surprise, we had the same teachers.

• Piph
    Piph

No, I don't like organized religion. I questioned all my beliefs after I was mentally free too...I decided that I don't really believe in the Bible, though I like some of its concepts here and there. I do believe in God, though not always following the Bible's definition of God.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    If people concentrated less on what they had to do and more on following their heart and being a good person the world would certainly be a better place. Doing something because you have to just makes you bitter!

Amen, sister! Here is a hymn to my religion:

Closer to the Heart - Rush

And the men who hold high places
    Must be the ones who start
    To mold a new reality
    Closer to the heart
    Closer to the heart
    The blacksmith and the artist
    Reflect it in their art
    They forge their creativity
    Closer to the heart
    Closer to the heart

Philosophers and ploughmen
    Each must know his part
    To sow a new mentality
    Closer to the heart
    Closer to the heart
    You can be the captain
    I will draw the chart
    Sailing into destiny
    Closer to the heart

One of the things I'd like to do, now that I'm free, is attend various churches and other houses of worship. But my goal is simply to educate myself, and to experience spirituality, the transcendent. I am not looking for a religion to tell what to think or what to do. Those decisions are my own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit