Heaven, Hell and the Afterlife

by JW Answers 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Answers
    JW Answers
    Salvation : "Heaven, Hell and the Afterlife."
    The Jehovah's Witnesses believe ONLY 144,000 will make it to Heaven, they dismiss the concept of a literal Hell, and do not believe in the Afterlife. In this new video, I explain from the scriptures who go to Heaven, who go to Hell and is the Afterlife proven in the Bible?
  • cofty
    cofty

Anybody who promotes belief in a literal Hell is a sociopath.

• cofty
  • cofty
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

JWA

The only place on the NT that you find suffering during the intermediate state is in LUke 16 where the narratives are satirical.

The only place you find eternal torment is in Revelstion ...in a symbolicpassage in a symbolic book.

One should not base doctrine on fiction or symbolism only.

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

What the Bible says cannot often be taken as truth. Writers have put their own thoughts also into the Bible. For example,

1)Moses wrote “no would live after seeing the face of the Almighty,” hence no one should come close to the mountain where God comes to him to give ten commandment. This is his own concept of Almighty. Almighty should be able to show his power in full or in part, and would be able to offer a tender kiss to an infant without burning him to death. Then only He will be called Almighty.

2)Many Bible writers have the notion that woman is inferior, yet we know that they are not. Look at the CIA Director who is a woman.

Hence what the Bible says about a burning hell cannot be literally true. After life is definite as present life is definite. If present life is true, then it is a continuation from the past life as Wernher von Braun (the father of rocket technology and space science in the United States) puts it: “I believe in an immortal soul. Science has proved that nothing disintegrates into nothingness. Life and soul, therefore, cannot disintegrate into nothingness, and so are immortal. Everything science has taught me and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.”

After quantum physics, subject of soul is no more a difficult one to grapple with. Nobel Laureate Max Planck [Father of Quantum Theory which revolutionized physics and opened the way for Albert Einstein's theory of relativity] said: I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.” (The Observer, 25 January 1931)

Many people don’t have time to ponder about matters pertaining to the deeper reality, the invisible and eternal reality wearing the visible and ephemeral body as they are busy with “here and now.” Yet in many parts of the world, Governments are secretly involved in tapping the heather-to unknown powers of the soul, hence information about soul and its amazing powers remain as a secret kept from the eyes of the mainstream public world.

For example, government-sponsored program to investigate ESP and its potential use within the Intelligence Community which is named STAR GATE.

(http://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf

http://www.lfr.org/lfr/csl/media/air_mayresponse.html

http://www.scientificexploration.org/journal/jse_10_1_puthoff.pdf

http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/pdfs/1979-precognitive-remote-viewing-stanford.pdf

http://www.lfr.org/lfr/csl/library/AirReport.pdf)

This shows, there is after-life, but we do not know what type of after life it is and where it would be. Let it be a surprise. What charm is there if you go for watching a cricket match if you already knew the result?

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Seems about as beneficial as warning about the dangers of trusting a cyclops by using quotes from The Odyssey.

It’s all a fictional danger (or “reward” if you like the idea of kissing the ass of an all powerful being who still needs your worship to stroke his own ego) written about in a book of unsubstantiated supernatural events that are made no more credible as a factual version of history by virtue of their being written thousands of years ago.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

JW Answers

Interestingly, the Pharisees were the hellfire preachers in Jesus' day. The question is...Where did they derive torment during the intermediate state and eternal torment after the final judgment?

I've written a book, Eternal Torment: Image and Reality, which incorporates just about every scripture which might be used to support temporary or eternal torment after death. PM me if you would like a copy.

Edward Fudge read my first draft and encouraged me to pursue publication which I have not thus far been led to do.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Vander...

You said, "One should not base doctrine on fiction or symbolism only."

What about baptism and communion?

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

To seriously believe in hell you'd need to have a mind so open that your brain is at risk of falling out.

Think about it:

When we feel pain, the nerve endings send a message to our brain. Our brain read this message, recognize it as a warning to take action and we feel pain. If you're dead, your nerve endings (and brain) are switched off. Therefore the inability to feel pain.

If you're in "hell" you would need a physical body. A body that is alive and able to feel pain. Therefore as soon as the nerve endings have burned away you'd feel nothing.

And anyway, what about masochists? They love pain. Hell would be their idea of heaven.

And what about hell... is there carbon and oxygen in hell? Is hell subject to gravity and other laws of physics?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit