Does the practice of refusing service to churches violate federal discrimination laws?

by dropoffyourkeylee 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Concerning recent threads about providing building repairs or other services for a church, I am wondering about how the WT stand would hold up under legal scrutiny.

Example; a JW is self employed in the HVAC business. A church calls him to provide routine service for their heating and cooling system. Suppose it is in area which is predominately of a certain race or ethnicity. He is a good JW and refuses to serve them, and when asked for a reason he tells them that he doesn't give service to churches besides his own.

He is sued for religious or racial discrimination, or both.

Under US law (the Civil Rights Act of 1964, for instance) I tend to think the WT stand may be interpreted as illegal and could be challenged in court if it hasn't already.

I'll leave it at that, maybe someone with a legal background will comment.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They refuse to service churches, period. A black church may be refused because they are a church, not for racial reasons. This same person will also refuse to service a white church, for the same reason.

However, now that Biden is in (and soon Komodo Dragon Harris), that will be illegal. A jokehovian that refuses to service a black church will be penalized (even if the same jokehovian also refuses to service a white church in a different area). The "We don't service churches because of our religion" excuse will not stand because of Komodo Dragon and its minions. Even if they also refuse to service a white church. Even if they do service other black-owned businesses in the same area as the church.

And whatever happened to freedom to service (or refuse) based on simple business decisions? This reminds me of an incident where a Christian baker refused to make a wedding cake for a gay wedding. Which is a decision they had the right to make (good business aside, since someone else could have just as easily made that cake). But no, they got forced to make that cake under threat of being closed down. And now it is even worse--and will get even worse under Komodo Dragon. (Who probably will not just shut that cancerous religion down.)

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Do independent contractors have rights that a separate registered business entity doesn't? I don't know the answer, but if so that could make all the difference.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Well if they were smart, of course, they'd simply say they were already booked up.

If they admitted they wouldn't carry out the repair because it's in a mosque I'm sure you could be sued for religious discrimination and actually I happen to agree with that. You're fixing radiators, not getting married there...why in the hell should you have the right to refuse based on the faith of the people who use said radiator/building??!

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

While we usually associate the Civil Rights Act of 1964

with racial discrimination, it clearly encompasses religious discrimination.

"The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex

or national origin. "

Quote taken from:

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/oasam/civil-rights-center/statutes/civil-rights-act-of-1964#:~:text=The%20Civil%20Rights%20Act%20of%201964%20prohibits%20discrimination%20on%20the,hiring%2C%20promoting%2C%20and%20firing.

Based on this, I don't see how it is legal for a business owner to refuse service to a person (or an organization)

based on that person's (or organization's) religious beliefs.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a hot pile of garbage as it encroaches on First Amendment rights. The only reason you even know it exists is because it was a compromise between Republican Civil Rights Acts which had already been enacted since the early 1950's which the Democrats famously filibustered.

Hence, you are right, you can be sued under the Civil Rights Act, but you won't be convicted under your First Amendment privileges.

Recently this act was stretched to encompass personal decisions on sexuality, so you are violating Civil Rights Acts if you don't agree with people that force their decisions on you.

• menrov
    menrov

Don't forget: if a law goes against God's WT law, the latter will be superior.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

In principle, it’s forced labor. There is little difference between this and slavery.

Therefore, probably not a good idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit