Intersting Visit from our local JWs yesturday

by little_Socrates 62 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild
    What is wrong with this rule.... Your personal fragrances should not be noticeable outside of your own personal space. Am I being unreasonable here? - LS

When I first put my perfume on it's stronger than it is an hour later. So it's outside my personal space for a short period of time. From now on I will apply it an hour before I go out. Stronger perfumes might be different, but perhaps they just recently sprayed it.

Kate xx

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Thank you for you consideration Kate....

If you are going into a public space with good air ventilation do what every you want with your fragrance. However if you are going into someones personal space, or if you will be in a confined space with poor ventilation for a period of time... please show moderation. (Church tends to be one of the worse places.... you have to share space for an hour or more and often the air circulation is poor)

• Giordano
    Giordano

I first noticed a problem in my 40's. A couple of magazines I subscribed to had these perfume and cologne ads that were scented. I could not read them. I'd leave them outside for a couple of days....... nothing helped. I finally called up the publisher and complained. They informed me that they would put me on their no scent list. Who would have thunk it?

I don't care to smell someone's perfume unless we are hugging one another closely. If you can smell a person before you see them your using to much.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

For an example, as a homeowner I have hired electrical, plumbing and other contractors forewarning them over the phone that my home is a free and clear zone and going into great detail as to what that means. I cannot tell you how many times I have turned these fouls away and NO I do not pay their mandatory service call because you did not follow my explicit instructions of showing up fragrance free.

When wearing fragrances you are correct it should remain in that personal space. the real killer is when it is worn so strong that when the person leaves the fragrance stays in the area. This makes things like elevators next to impossible. Think about places most people go without giving any thought, scented air fresheners public restrooms are totally off limits. Yes, a lot of thought is given to everything single thing a migraine suffer avoids through out the day.

There is a long list of foods to be avoided.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, definitely, people who wear fragrances need to be mindful of the impact on others, especially those with allergies. No argmuent from me.

But what stands out in the OP is the sheer interpersonal verbal aggression in conveying that otherwise good point. It's as if all the stored up anger and negativity about the JWs in general has as its focal point a tirade about the wearing of fragrances. Come on people. That's a new low: Criticizing (some) JWs for wearing frangrances. At least you will have sympathy for the organization's official frowning upon the wearing of fragrances at meetings and conventions!

You should be glad I have not been in your company. When I douse myself in Kouros, even the birds flying high above bushland 10 kilometres to my east come out in angry rashes.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Giordano ,

I did the same with the magazines.

All my friends are aware how serious headaches are so they will either not wear any or smile and say today is a no hug day and we laugh. But none of them wear a lot of it that it would bother me.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Steve... my reaction had very little to do with them being JWs. In a weird way I sometimes actually enjoy the visits. I like to talk abut religious/spiritual issues with who ever will talk with me.

I would have reacted that day the same regardless of who the people at the door where representing. A repair man, a door to door salesmen, or even friends.

Yes my tone was sharp... but I don't know how else to express the seriousness of this issue. Some people have no idea that this is an important issue for people. If nobody tells them, they will never know.

Yes I do have some pent up aggression when dealing with this... but I think it is a totally appropriate response to the total callousness of so many people.

I am only posting it here because it involved JW's but the real issue had very little to do with the cult.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes I do have some pent up aggression when dealing with this... but I think it is a totally appropriate response to the total callousness of so many people.

I am only posting it here because it involved JW's but the real issue had very little to do with the cult.

Fair enough little-Socrates. I guess a part of me continues to have a lot of feeling for what JWs go through in their door-to-door work. I would never speak to anyone that way - unless my previous requests had been ignored and I thought they were being defiant.

From memory, JWs who wear perfume or eau de cologne in field service are not in the majority.

You would have a lot of sympathy for the pre-convention "reminders" issued by the organization about being mindful of others and not wearing fragrances that could cause others to have allergic reactions.

• Oogie
    Oogie
    I have chemical sensitivities. I noticed they're not as bad as they used to be now that I 'woke up'. I think it stems from neurological / nervous disorders exacerbated by PTSD..Basically, the cult did it.
  • cofty
    cofty
    total callousness

Really? You think it's "totally callous" to wear deodorant or perfume just in case you happen to bump into the one in a million people who happen to find it gives them a sore head?

Talk about first world problems!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit