New Book About Jehovah’s Witnesses Starts Creating a Buzz in The JW and Ex JW Community

by GodZoo 23 Replies latest social current

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Bzzz... ;)
  • steve2
    steve2

Quote from the website:

Eugene strongly warns the reader by saying: “Now if you’re reading this and your conscious is not ready to be shocked beyond belief, then stop reading here. Really. It means this book is not for you.

Eugene claims to be a counsellor and psychologist so perhaps he can explain to me (a clinical psychologist) what he means by the above warning. What does he mean when he uses the term "your conscious"? Surely he would realize that, his intended readership will likely consist of individuals who are expectedly conflicted over whether to investigate their religious organization? So they should close the book? He is either incredibly naive or very clever.

The front cover is replete with seansationalist alarm. The prominence of the young, scared looking child on the cover is clearly an attempt to generate interest/sales. Nothing wrong with vivdly and dramatically promoting a product. How, though, could the cover not stir up emotions and ambivalence among the very individuals who might be among the target readership? Oh, if "your conscious is not ready" close the book". Too late: Your warning wasn't prominent enough - I've begun reading! Oh, now I'm doomed because I wasn't ready.

What an alarmist view of humans the author possesses.

Unless of course, the website is attempting to use "reverse" psychology". By warning the individual to read it only if their "conscious" allows it, the silent rebel within the individual may rise up and say, "Damn it, man, I'm gonna read it!"

Oh - and I hate covers that scream at me words to the effect : "Finally all is revealed!"

Excuse me there is no single clear moment in time when any author or publisher can honestly say 'at last - all is revealed!' Didn't Ray Franz reveal "all" over 30 years ago? Didn't James Penton produce a scholarly work on the inside workings of the organization in the late 1980s? Didn't Barbara Grizutti Harrison pen her superb expose on her upbringing in the organization in the 1970s?

Haven't ex-JW support groups sprouted on the web in the past 10 to 15 years?

As others have stated, excerpts from the book are not exceptionally well written - but are quite prosaic. Nothing special or unique.

The only thing that lifts this book above the myriad other JW-exposes on the market is the hyperbolic promotional campaign. And that's no recommendation.

• mrmagic
    mrmagic
    I wonder where this XJW community is as I've never heard of this book before
  • sparky1
    sparky1

I just did a Google search on Eugene Walker. Some of the titles of his books look to be similar in content to that other ex-Witness self help guru Firpo Carr. Take a look for yourself:

https://www.goodreads.com.author/show/8394733.Eugene_Walker

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Interesting title choice. There is a successful public FB group with the same name that started well before the publishing date. I've never heard of Eugene Walker. I suppose anyone could do the research, slap a pdf together and charge 3 bucks for it.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Dr. Firpo Carr meets Dr. Phil McGraw= Eugene Walker

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

STEVE2 Eugene strongly warns the reader by saying: “Now if you’re reading this and your conscious is not ready to be shocked beyond belief, then stop reading here. Really. It means this book is not for you

Is that your typo or from the website? It should be conscience, not conscious.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

>yawn<

wow, i'm so happy for Eugene Walker

Let us know when you pass that "twelve-copies-sold" milestone.

ask around - publishing XJW books is a sure path to fame, riches and recognition, unless I'm lying.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

LisaRose declared, "It should be conscience, not conscious."

I'll bet Eugene is writing in "the tongue of Angels." Angels never had a grasp of Junior High School English.

PLENTY of home-schooled JWs will never even see the error.

• steve2
    steve2

STEVE2 Eugene strongly warns the reader by saying: “Now if you’re reading this and your conscious is not ready to be shocked beyond belief, then stop reading here. Really. It means this book is not for you

LisaRose, that is an actual enlarged quote from the publisher's website. It definitely says, "your conscious". I'd have to guess if it's a typo and "conscience" was meant. Either way, editorial follow-up is substandard IMO.

Nathan - you da man. My response exactly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit