Digital Billboards and Anti Witnessing.

by SnakesInTheTower 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Just thinking out loud here. I drive a lot of miles for my job in the St. Louis, Missouri area. Digital Billboards popping up. One set in particular is Blip Billboards. Seems like an inexpensive way to get the TTATT out there, especially near the DC site this year...

Heh, heh.

Thoughts?

Snakes

• jws
    jws

It seems to me that digital billboards change so much, you'd have to have a clear message that catches the eye and gives you the message quickly. Not that you'd have to do a lot of reading.

The JWs aren't on a lot of people's radar. They're just a bunch of religious goofs. To present anything else, you're going to have to explain more. Like pedophilia, blood issues, shunning, etc. Seems kind of hard to get into that in a billboard - especially those digital ones that change quickly.

Maybe the best would be something like "True facts on Jehovah's Witnesses" and a website that's short and easy to remember.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Whats a digital billboard look like ? have they caught on here in Australia ?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thoughts?

I don't need to preach and save anyone from anything. I can't care less what the WT does or say, what they preach, none of that. Those are the reasons why I left. Why on Earth would I want to continue my relationship with them?

Use the time and money in catching up with your retirement.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Playing devil's avacado here. If I saw a 'billboard' (I don't know we have them here in the UK), stating that Scientology was bad because of whatever, I'd just ignore it. I don't give a monkey's about the Scientology nutters. Mormon nutters. Jobot nutters. Religious nutters. Nutty nutters.

I think most people wouldn't pay much attention to it all. Might be worth a punt but I'm not convinced.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

"Jehovah's Witnesses deny freedom of speech to its members"

"Jehovah's Witnesses break up families through shunning policy."

"Jehovah's Witnesses keep mishandling pedophilia."

"Jehovah's Witnesses discourages higher education."

"Jehovah's witnesses never acknowledged doing anything wrong"

"Jehovah's witnesses misquote scientifics"

"Jehovah's Witnesses use double speech"

• Tara N Seals
    Tara N Seals

I had to Google both digital and Blip Billboards.

Deep in the Heart of Dixie, you know.

If I could afford it, I would give it a shot.

I would use the billboard to troll WT and politicians.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    I think most people wouldn't pay much attention to it all. Might be worth a punt but I'm not convinced.

I think people outside the WT couldn't care less, which means, the billboards will be catering specifically people who have interest in the WT, who may or may not pass by them and read it for a few seconds.

And then the message written has to speak to them, and it's a well known fact that many people join the WT (and everything else for that matter) join for many different reasons. What exactly will it have to say? Additionally, there are many JWs who can't even articulate some of their teachings, leave alone use what they read outside about it. So the billboard may have to:

1. Be located where/when a specific group of people can see it
    2. Catch their attention
    3. Be about something they understand or care to learn more from an outside source
    4. Be about something that speaks to their own specific situation

Doesn't sound to me like a venture worthy of time and money.

• Simon
    Simon

People who don't know or care about JWs aren't interested, people who are JWs see it as persecution and validation that there is an enemy out to get them and the WTS is right.

If you see a sign about scientology, how much attention do you really pay to it? (forgetting the JW connection, if you were just average joe)

I feel like these ad campaigns (like lots of advertising) is throwing money away unless you have a very clear and specific campaign, are targeting the right people and can measure the results in order to declare things a success or not.

The seem to feed on the need of people to want to "do something" but personally I think money and effort can be better focused.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Playing devil's advocate here. If I saw a 'billboard' (I don't know we have them here in the UK), stating that Scientology was bad because of whatever, I'd just ignore it.

Well..yes because you are not in that church. But if that billboard pointed to a fact-checking website and your were in the scientology church, there is a chance your curiosity would take over.

I have thought of this same thing. A strategically placed billboard on a major route leading to a convention hall would be priceless. There is a constant stream of Jdrones going to these places, and I'm pretty sure it would have an impact on a percentage of them.

Imagine car after car of Jdrone families driving by and everybody sees it. Perhaps many of them would take a peek at information when nobody is looking. The rest of society would not care, and that's fine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit