Real hockey is played in the cold

by concerned mama 21 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

yes sk, it is true.....it was very,very cold.....but the true hockey fans stuck it out!

Simon.....learn the rules!...lol..it is the best sport in the world....I am a huge supporter of Newcastle ( soccer) but still love my hockey the best....

Morty

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I understand it was something like 20 or 30 degrees below zero. Too cold for me.

Will

• Badger
    Badger

I wish every johnny-come-lately hockey "fan" In Phoenix, Tampa and Atlanta could have seen this. First, Edmonton wins the Grey Cup, now this...

Badger, of the "Wish it froze like that in Texas" class

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Badger, you're from Texas and you know about the Grey Cup? Wow, you impress me! You'll have to come up and ski the Rockies or something.

Simon, yes of course you will learn the hockey rules, and how to ski and become and enthusiastic Canadian. We can't wait to you and Ang and the boys make it here to stay.

Yeah, it was cold, but it was a dry cold (Alberta humor). People's beer was freezing in the cups, not to mention taking your mitt off for long to drink just wasn't worth it. I think, living in a climate with real winter, you learn to just dress warmly and get on with life. If you stay inside just because it is cold, you'd never do anything. I am considerabley wimpier than my husband. He will ski unless it is so cold that they shut the lifts. My hubby said that some people came to the game in sneakers and baseball caps, and that is just plain stupid. If you dressed for the weather, it was part of the experience.

So many Canadian men grew up playing community league hockey. Walking to the neighbourbhood rink in your equipment and carrying your stick and skates. In the cold, because the cold didn't matter, unless they closed the rink, in which case you were disappointed. You were going to play hockey with your buddies. Having to scrape the ice before you play or after your game. All part of the history of our national game.

My husband had a wonderful childhood, doing just those things. I think the exreme weather made it feel more "right" to him. He still, at age almost 50, plays hockey once a week with his friends( but in a rink in a shopping mall now).

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Here, Badger, this is my family's favorite place to ski. Shamus, does this place look familiar?

• Badger
    Badger

I know all sports...used to be a sports writer. Like the CFL, but what's with the huge-ass field? Do you Canadians have to use up as much land as possible? GO BLUE BOMBERS!

I hate skiing, though...I do my best snowboarding on "Mahogany Ridge"

• heathen
    heathen

simon--- I watch hockey all the time and don't know the rules and it's apparent most of the refs don't know them either so when you learn the rules please post them . lol

I didn't even know that game was on . If it was on cable I coulda seen it .

Goooooooooooooooooo Starsssssssssssss Gooooooo

• Badger
    Badger

Speakin of which:

St. Louis 2

Dallas 1

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Blue Bombers, no way! GO, ESKIMOS, GO!

Edmonton is a real sports city, Badger, and my husband a true sports fan. I would have to refer the size of the field to him, because I have no idea. Wait, maybe I do, does "an emphasis on a passing game" sound right? I don't have much to do with sports. I'm a dance Mom, not a hockey Mom.

• jgnat
    jgnat

According to this link, Canadians stuck closer to it's roots, Americans shortened up due to lack of space:

http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~leblancj/stampeders/compare.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit