My story - still stuck 'in'

by Mysterious 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I was raised as a loyal dub since birth, taught the religion by my mother who is a strong supporter of the WTS. My father had been inactive since before I was born, actually he's the one who found this site first. *waves at Poztate* I never questioned anything I was taught and I memorized by rote what to say to anyone who asked me any question. Teachers and classmates all took my answers without questioning, heck I bet they didn't even understand what "pagan" was, neither did I, yet the word flowed off my tongue regularly.

When I was ten years old I started giving talks and everyone showered me with praise over what a good girl I was. Isn't that what every child needs, recognition and love? A year later I became an unbaptised publisher. I remember feeling really good when I placed something, not because someone was reading the literature but because it showed how well I had learned my lessons. Everyone praised me again, mom would buy me a treat at the store. I got to mark down the placement on my time slip and I was proud when I got to hand it in! I wouldn't listen to any criticism of the society, I didnt want to hear about any scandals I knew it was all lies because they told me it was all lies.

I started to think I should get baptised, but dad put his foot down, he didn't think I was old enough to make that decision. I was furious how DARE he put my eternal life in jeopardy. Just thinking of it now I love him all the more for not letting me make what would have been the biggest mistake of my life. A couple of years later when I turned 16 I thought it was time to broach the subject again. This time dad sat me down and showed me things the WT had gone back on, organ transplants for one of them. He told me that if I got baptised I should be prepared to do whatever they say at the time no matter what. He showed me the change in vows that would have me be loyal to the organization. At the time it didn't have much of an impact on me, I knew what I wanted and what did my father have to say that could possibly stop me. Now looking back it has much more of an impact. But mom was actually a bit uneasy. I thought she would be happy for me. I was genuinely pissed off and confused. But I decided okay one more year. I think she was in the end convinced that dad had someone persuaded me not to. I didnt' know what was wrong but I was starting to not feel as faithful as I used to. My heart wasn't in it but I didn't realize why. I cried through the entire baptism talk, it wouldn't be the last time. I knew I was supposed to be like those candidates but I didn't feel like them.

I got heavily involved with an online forum community on a topic of interest to me. For the first time it put me in contact with a lot of worldy people on a social scale and I befriended a lot of them. I started getting very depressed but I didnt understand what was wrong. An online buddy confronted me about it and I finally admitted to him that after years of being taught that it was a (bad) choice, I thought I might be gay. He was the most understanding and kind person I had met to date. He told me he truly cared about me and he was there for me. He helped me talk about my feelings, he never judged me. He loved me for who I was. I was a wreck. I had never been raised to consider this could happen to me and I was at a loss how to figure it all out. I finally worked up the courage to talk to the owner of the forum I was now a moderator (and later an administrator) of. I thought he would tell me I was wrong, that I didn't understand the implications of what I was saying. That I was just a stupid confused kid. I thought he woudl push me away. But he didn't he cared about me, he was concerned for me. He wanted to help me. He helped me talk about my feelings. He never told me what to feel. He never told me what to think. He never gave advice unless I asked. I wanted him to tell me if I was gay, he told me it was something I had to figure out for myself.

I was depressed and angry when I finally started visiting sites for gay youths. I knew it was 'wrong' to visit these sites. But I was desperate for someone to talk to that knew how I was feeling. Every day I would visit these sites and come away saying that I could never live a lifestyle like these people, that it was wrong, that I just needed to figure this out and then I could block it out. Over a period of a few months I started to identify myself as bisexual. It was easier that way. I could justify the feelings I had without having to change anything. I could still end up married and never have to tell anyone I like girls. I started coming out to my online friends. For once I was truly happy because I was accepting myself. I started visiting gay JW sites, but only ones that were about staying in the organization. But I began to realize I was disagreeing with things I read there. I was still visiting the gay youth forums and the material I read at the JW sites was contradicting the other material I read. It never occured to me I would quit being a witness, I always thought I could work it out.

I was going to explode soon if I didn't get some positive feedback in real life. Encouraged by the reactions I had found online I came out to a close school mate. She totally accepted and supported me. I started questioning if I even like guys at all. I started researching my past and things made sense more and more to the point that I started coming out as gay. It wasn't long before I faced another crisis, to tell my best (JW) friend. I took him aside one day and decided to come clean. Not only did he accept me unconditionally but he kept quiet as well, just like a best friend should. I have hope for him, he's not nearly as much of a loyal dub as everyone seems to think. If you're still religious on some level, pray for him.

School was out and I was in crisis. I had for the first time in my life started to rely on friends. I had always been independant but I realized that now I needed other people to survive. We went on family vacation, a lot of driving. I wanted to escape, I just wanted to die. I got in trouble for being grumpy. I was supposed to be on vacation having fun. In my mind I relived the last year. I was always thinking. Thinking so deeply all the time. I could never escape my own mind no matter what. I just went over and over the arguments in my head.

I spent another baptism talk in tears, this time with the knowledge that I was unchangably gay and unsure as to where this left me. Mom tried to find out what was wrong. The only thing I could think to say was that if I told her she would hate me. She asked me if I had done something wrong and I said no. She asked if I didn't want to get baptised anymore and I said I still did, I did I just wasnt sure how that would ever work out.

When school finally went back in I was never so glad to see my friends again. I felt so lucky to even be alive after how horrible I had felt in the summer. I sat around, the computer was my lifeline. I was told I was lazy. I should be working. I spent too much time on the computer. I should study more. I tried not to snap back. I tried to rationalize that no one knew how close I was to loosing it. No one truly knows even now.

I finally accepted being gay. I decided there was no way I could stay in the organization, I still believed most of it but I knew I could never last. I decided to come out to my father. I thought he would curse me out. I thought maybe he would throw me out. I thought maybe he would out me to my mother. I never expected to be loved and accepted. I hatched a plot to get away to school after I graduated and presented it to him. He embraced it and a seed of hope was born. I knew a dorm lifestyle was not for a witness, I didn't plan to be one. We carefully covered everything up from my mother.

And here I sit today. I have a talk next week. I still go out in service. I go to the meetings. I comment. I study with mom every week. I loathe every aspect of it. I dont hear love preached at the meetings, I hear everyone's hatred of me and 'my kind'. I wish I didnt have to go. Truthfully if it weren't for my mother I would quit cold turkey and never look back. But naw the hopes of keeping the family together hinges on me. I need her money for college. She thinks I'll live with a witness family go to all the meetings. She thinks we can go up this summer and check out the congregation. All the time she's saying what a good girl I am. She's telling me how proud she is of me. She's not proud of the real me, she hates me, she's ashamed of me. She just doesnt know it yet. She is always telling me not to turn my back on Jehovah for an education, trying to put the scare tactics into me about how close Armageddon is. I just want to get away from the WT forever! I can't stand a second more of it! This week I was sick enough to miss a few meetings. I've never been happier in all my life and I can't bear the thought of going back again and again. Hear the same people condemn me over and over. Hear the same lies embraced as the truth. Hear the same people lay the same guilt trip on me, the perfect example, the righteous kid. I can't stand it. And yet here it is nine months until I ship off to school. How can I TAKE it any longer. HOW.

And somewhere in there mom's bubble must be burst. She will find out about the dorm. She will find out I'm going to quit "the truth". Hell maybe she'll even find out I'm gay, who knows. She will want reasons. I haven't got reasons to give, none that would keep her still speaking to me. None that would appease her. Hell I'm afraid she will set the elders on me. I don't know what I'd say to them even!

So here I am.

• avishai
    avishai

(((((Mysterious)))))))

Great story! I am so sorry you are going through this, it's tough, I know. Now too address one thing in your post.

But naw the hopes of keeping the family together hinges on me
    Sorry, hun, but that's BS. If anone chooses to freak out or blow up or destroy the family, it's on them, not you. You are you & can only be that. Rejection, etc., etc.,, would be do to a lack of unconditional love. You seem to have the unconditional thing down pat, it's your mom that does'nt. However, I can understand the $$$$ part, but you'll resent it sooner or later, if you don't already. Can you work your way thru? Grants? Maybe we can start a "Keep Mysterious out of the KH" kitty here for you.
  • shamus
    shamus
    I dont hear love preached at the meetings, I hear everyone's hatred of me and 'my kind'. I wish I didnt have to go. Truthfully if it weren't for my mother I would quit cold turkey and never look back

This is part of your depression too. It was for me, I can tell you that for sure. I just got tired of hearing it day after day, week after week, you're not doing enough'... then I finally quit. It was the best thing in the world for me.

I did not "quit" the truth, I just unoficially (oficially) never went to another meeting again. And I was faithful, boy. A hair's length from M.S... I was just waiting for the announcement. Did anyone care that I left? NO.

The thing that you need to do is get yourself away from that environment as soon as possible. Go do your last talk, or call in sick. Don't go anymore. It's for your emotional health right now, and it's okay to bend the truth here if you can.

There will be lots more comments, friend, so check back. There are lots of people who are gay here, and just couldn't life up to "jehohah's" standards.

You're on a remarkable journey... be happy!

• morty
    morty

((((((((((((Mysterious)))))))))

First of all, WELCOME to the forum......You have come to a informative place here....

There are a some really good posters on board here that will tell you that they are going or went through the same thing you are living right now....I am sure they will have wonderful advice for you on your sexual feelings and the jws....

I personally myself have never had to encouter such feelings and I wish I had the answers for you or at least give you some advice on this....

I can tell you that I have been shunned before and only time will help this ( thats if in fact, you even get shunned from your family...who knows,maybe your mom will shock you and support you all the way)...

Here is like a great big family....We all try to support one another in some way, shape or form.......

You sound like you have a lot of living to live still and IMO I dont think you will ever get that feeling to live your life to your fullest, being a jw....If indeed your sexual prefrence is not the opposit of your own gender, the jws will never except it,and this is really sad....

It must be a terriable feeling to have to live a lie to your mom.....moms and daugthers are suppose to be able to tell each other everything or ar least who their ultimate dream spouse is.....

For now I wish you luck,and hope you find the answers you need right know to carry on in your life healthy.....again welcome, and stay around a while....you will be happy here...I know I am, since posting here and have not been here very long at all.....

Morty

• Maverick
    Maverick

Dear Ms. M: Welcome! Your account is very well written and you possess great clairity of thought. I talked my, when 13 year old, daughter out of getting baptized, and I was a loyal dud at the time. Actually I was loyal to the True God over the WTS. My baby was not ready and I felt that. The PO was very unhappy with me. He still is, but for other reasons now! You have been blessed in many ways. First your intelligent, and you seem to have the ability to attract good and loving friends. And then there's your father...THIS I can relate to! He loves you unconditionally! As for your mother...you can never tell how a person will react. If you present it carefully, you might pull it off. Your father may be able to help her and you with this one. Talk to him, learn what kind of a person she is under the WTS programming. Make a plan and work it. Take two years if that's what you need! The worst that can happen is she will shun you for the duds. The best that can happen is she will love you over the duds! Try and take God out of the equation. Maverick....father of his daughter above everything else!

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Welcome Mysterious! That was quite a touching experience. I'm sorry you are still in the middle of it. You sound very intelligent and mature. Continue to stick to your hearts feelings. You know yourself better than anyone else.

You'll find alot of good people here, as Morton and Shamus pointed out. Stick around there are many here who can help you through this.

CC

• dmouse
    dmouse

Hey, I'm D Mouses son. My dad got me to read your message and said I could relate to it and help in some way. My family are exactly the same my mum's still a dub and my dad stopped years ago and has been posting on this site for god knows how long. The thing is I was so into it, I loved everything about being a JW. I would block out everything my dad told me and I hated him for not letting me get baptised. However I to began to like the same sex. I would sit there and listen to my mum and grandma saying people like me were evil and wrong. I just sat and nodded. It was awful, And I understand compleatly how you must feel. Fortuantly I got away from it all about a year ago. I managed to tell my mum I didn't want it anymore and I couldn't tell her why, She'd be destroyed, her little boy....gay! I said I just needed time away from the meetings and from the people. I told my friends a few months after and they all loved me even more....bless em. The friends I had in the congregation when they found out through their little sources turned their backs on me. I still don't know whether my mum knows, I haven't got it in me to tell her. My dad is fine with me and supports me in everything I do.

Still, that probably doesn't help you to much. I think you need to do it gently, Don't drop it all in one. Tell her you don't want to go to the meetings, It will be tough for a while, lots of crying. I found it awful, the guilt was tremendous. But believe me once you have stopped going you will never look back and think I wish I hadn't done that. No one can force you to go to the meetings no matter what they might make you believe. You need to do it know before it's to late. The longer you leave it the harder it will be. I know it's tough but it really is the best thing. You will only hurt yourself more by staying in. And I'm positive your dad will support you in all your decisions and he wouldn't let anything happen to you. Your mum will always love you no matter what. I know that now and It will take time for you to know that, but it's true.

Well I hope thats helped and I hope your troubles sought themselves out....they all do eventually. Remember you only live once and it has to be the life you love not the one your mother wants.

Love Benji xxx

• Poztate
    Poztate

Welcome to the board MYSTERIOUS (aka) MY GIRL,

I know the last year or so has been hard for you. There have been many changes and decisions to be made. I have had to make changes also in my way of looking at people and life. It has been a growth experiance for both of us.

I still remember the day you (came out) to me. Life was very uncertain for you at that moment. Would you be rejected by me,accepted by me or somewhere in between. I think my arms around you and holding you tight told you the whole story.When your Mother saw you next she thought you maybe were high on drugs. Little did she know you were just high on life,knowing your Father had not rejected you and you were LOVED without conditions.

I wish all people in this world could love without conditions and just accept everyone as fellow humans traveling down the highway of life together. I have learned first hand the pain and uncertainty that a teenager faces coming to terms and accepting who they are and where their life will lead. This uncertainty is faced by thousands every day around the world and how they come to terms with it determines how well their life will turn out.

You are a strong person with a good focus and view of life.I know you will do well as you travel down the road of life and you know I will ALWAYS be their for you.

My LOVE and BEST WISHES TO YOU,

DAD.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

I don't have any advice besides this: at every turn, at every conversation with a witness, be it your mother or the elders, your father has the right to be there and be involved in the conversation, so long as you want him to.

That is by their rules, I'd suggest you use their rules in this case. Sounds like your father is stepping up to the plate nicely, being what a father ought to be. Don't hesitate to use him for shelter from this storm in the coming years.

Also, this isn't really advice, just my gut feeling; the sooner you and your father clue your mother in to reality, the easier things will be for all of you. That way, while she may not come around and understand your side of things, at least she won't feel conspired against any more than necessary.

This is the year 2003. Eventually, everyone in your past will need to know that you're gay; that's just the reality of life in 2003, and it's far better than the old, secretive way, though not nearly as good as the distant future, when no one will care one way or the other.

• Odrade
    Odrade

(((((Mys))))) I'm so glad you have your dad, and your friends at school, the one JW friend at the hall. It must be so hard hiding who you are, and hiding that you can't be that "good little witness girl." But you have a big heart, it comes through in your writing. Hold onto that.

I hope you find lots of friends and support here too. Take care, hon.

Odrade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit