Human imperfection, church policy or hypocrisy?? Watchtower vs BMG

by lssjr 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lssjr
    lssjr

This new lawsuit continues to compound undeniable evidence that Jehovah’s Witnesses is keener in monopolizing "the truth" or making "Kingdom assets" an exclusive right, so that they can interests of their "king, Jesus Christ".

It is clearly evident also the they are willing to fight for frivolous and materialistic rights they believe they are entitled to, but when it comes to child sexual abuse issues and their role, they certainly love to twist and hide behind law, to escape blame and responsibility.

Below is the full text from https://avoidjw.org/en/news/watch-tower-bmg-music/. The court documents are also available for download in the aforementioned link.

Further commentary can also be found on Watchtower sues BMG Rights Management over Aled Jones song

In a lawsuit filed with the District Court in the Southern District of New York, Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania allege that BMG US, BMG UK, and one or more associated individuals and corporations have infringed their copyright of the song, “Listen, Obey and Be Blessed”, which is available to download for free from the website jw.org.
    Watch Tower claim that the song in question features in “a sound recording entitled “‘Sing Out Joyfully’ to Jehovah: Song 089, Listen, Obey and Be Blessed,”” and in “a motion picture entitled “Become Jehovah’s Friend Song 089. Listen, Obey and Be Blessed,”” and in a “book “Sing to Jehovah,””, all of which were copyrights registered between 2009 and 2019.
    They claim the song appears on the album Aled Jones Blessings “in which Album BMG UK claims to be the copyright owner”.
    Watch Tower claim that Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Britain, a separate legal entity to the Pennsylvania entity, put Aled Jones on notice that Watch Tower was the owner of all copyrights in the composition of the song, that they had not granted Jones permission to use the song, and objected to his recording and reproduction of it.
    Jone’s sent a copy of this letter from Watch Tower to BMG UK and they responded to Watch Tower indicating that they obtained a license to record, reproduce and publicly perform the song from a German collective rights society called GEMA. Instead of BMG providing evidence of this license they requested Watch Tower contact GEMA directly. However GEMA claim they denied BMG’s request because the latter did not have the right to license the work.
    Furthermore, Watch Tower claims that neither BMG UK anor BMG US followed the statutory procedures necessary to obtain a compulsory mechanical license to use the song. BMG UK did inform Watch Tower that BMG US were in the process of obtaining such a license but it is alleged that the latter hadn’t done so in a timely manner.
    In respect of the alleged infringements, Watch Tower are seeking (a) an injunction against BMG, Aled Jones and all others connected to the infringed material to prevent the song from any further reproduction, copying, distribution, performance or exploitation.(b) actual damages from the act of infringing their copyright, all profits realized as a result of the infringement, in amounts determined at trial or, if Watch Tower prefers, statutory damages pursuant to copyright law, each with prejudgment and post-judgment interest thereon.(c) costs and attorneys’ fees incurred as a result of BMG’s alleged unlawful acts.
  • hoser
    hoser

Watchtower didn’t write the song. Some jw musician wrote the song and signed over the rights to the watchtower religion. If I was that guy I’d be pissed.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Poor Watchtower, affeared of losing a buck. Aled Jones should change the name of the song to " Stupid and Broke, Following WT"!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

hoser ,maybe it wont be long before "that" guy will be posting on here ?

It is clearly evident also the they are willing to fight for frivolous and materialistic rights they believe they are entitled to, but when it comes to child sexual abuse issues and their role, they certainly love to twist and hide behind law, to escape blame and responsibility.

How true that is , and we are nearing the deadline for the JW religion to join up to the Redress scheme of the Australian Royal Commission 31/12/20

Failing to do so will bring reproach on Jehovah`s name and the Organization JW.Org. in the wider Australian Community.

They will be publicly named and shamed ,.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    smiddy3 - “They will be publicly named and shamed.”

More than that, I think.

I’m willing to bet that their tax-exemption in Australia is approaching the chopping block (why else would they have moved all their Down Under dollars out of the country two years ago?), with other countries to follow.

Every once in a while, the Legal system needs to make an example of someone. When it’s genuinely justified, that’s just the icing on the cake.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Persecution!! Lol

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Yeah, good luck spinning “paying back Caesar’s things to Ceasar” as persecution.

• GregW
    GregW

they certainly love to twist and hide behind law, to escape blame and responsibility.

......but we followed what to do in circumstances like these by the bible's own instructions and guidance .

Worldly government law agencies dont, so god is still in are favor.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

What really puzzles me, is the stupidity of BMG music group. I’m just stunned by that.

• JeffT
    JeffT

What Joe said. As a writer I have some knowledge of copyright law. Music copyright is a bit more complicated, but not beyond understanding. Copyright exists to protect the creators of intellectual property, BMG knows this (or they are stunningly incompetent.

I know this is an unpopular opinion on this board, but the WTBS is well within its rights on this, and risks losing those rights if it doesn't defend them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit