No beards...even Jesus! Strange Watchower rule for brothers!

by Witness 007 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

I don't think Jesus would have been df'd, but he certainly would have had his "privileges" taken away, unless he started going around telling people in the congregationthat the elders were "making the word of God invalid because of their traditions." I guess the bible says he did, and the religious leaders then had him put to death--the WTS says df'ing is like being killed, according to the WTS capital offenses under the Law code were ones punished by execution. Of course, under the Law code, men were supposed to have beards. (This reminds me again of how the WTS conveniently applies a scripture to support their ideas)

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I have seen on this site in the past that Witnesses had their dress and grooming standards set by the same standards door-to-door salesmen adopted - business attire and clean shaven. Why? Because the Watchtower's business model was that of door-to-door sales.

It made sense to me. It helped me answer this question - Why are Jehovah's Witnesses the only religion that refer to their own members as "publishers"? "Publishers of God's word" is still a common phrase used by JWs to refer to themselves.

pub·lish·er

/ˈpəbliSHər/

noun

a person or company that prepares and issues books, journals, music, or other works for sale.

I still remember selling Watchtowers and Awakes for $0.50.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why is this always an issue? It is not just a watchtower thing, but a cultural thing. It's all about how the public views someone.

Presidents With Beards - Which of Them Had the Best Beard (beardoholic.com)

Clean-shaven presidents have always occupied the highest political office in the U.S.. This has been the norm across the whole political hemisphere.

From presidents, governors, to senators, very few have significant facial hair. It’s been more than a century since a bearded president served the office.

Facial hair has long been tied to male courage and masculinity. You would expect politicians to spot some mean facial hair, but that is not always the case.

We’re living at a time where beards are no longer frowned upon and campaign like the Movember trend every year. For some reason, this is yet to take shape when it comes to politicians and presidents in particular.

Beards became popular in the 1960s among the hippie counterculture. This notion led to their reduced popularity in politics. Today less than five percent of the members of the U.S. Congress have mustaches or beards.

There is little research about politicians and facial hair. Analysts have, however, concluded that voters make decisions based on factors like appearance. As such, it’s reasonable to assume that facial hair can influence voters’ perceptions. Because of this reason, politicians opt to be clean-shaven.

Voters perceive politicians with beards as more masculine. There is also that general feeling that beards and mustaches make a man look more mature. This is a quality that people want to see in a head of state.

Some, however, believe that men who have beards are not only unhygienic but have something to hide. In politics, public trust is everything if you want the votes.

Having a clean-shaven president shows that the person is tidy, clean, and bear with nothing to hide. These qualities would make a candidate look trustworthy, thereby winning more votes.

Subconsciously, our perceptions play a role in who we elect and who we don’t. This is all tied to their appearance.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

My favourite was the experience given regarding a bearded JW at a door and the householder telling him she didn't want to participate in a "student revolt".

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

During the initial part of a long conversation with an elder/substitute circuit overseer about beards, I got him to admit that it would be a spiritually "weak" person who would be stumbled by a brother with a beard.

Toward the end of the conversation, I asked him directly, "Bill, will you be stumbled if I come to the meeting with a beard"? He said, with no hesitation, "Yes, Queequeg. Yes I would."

All I could do was smile.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

" spiritually "weak" person who would be stumbled by a brother with a beard."

I don't think people understand what it means to stumble someone and be stumbled.

It literally means someone is walking and encounters something that causes him to be tripped and not to continue or delays.

In this situation, a person is on the road to life and stumbling would stop the person on that road.

Why woud someone having a beard cause that? It's judgmentalism. 'That person has a beard, Christians don't have beards; this ain't the Christian congregation'. is what they think. There is nothing in the Bible to support such judgments. People need to stop learning them.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Adding to the Watchtower's business model approach, while Rutherford was president the congregations of the WT were referred as "companies".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Pathetic, small minded leaders bullying the R&F(TM).

Well, who cares as long as TOMO the turd can get drunk tonight.

• Judgerussellford
    Judgerussellford

Dueteronomy has in its list of laws written therein not to shave the edges/corners or you beard. Its right next to do not tatto yourselves. So they just cherry pick what rules they want to follow out of the Bible

• waton
    waton

with the mask still an option/ mandatory, do not miss the chance to be fully bearded and smile at them in glee at the meetings, have the beard and esteem of the team.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit