double treat in New York City last nite

by franklin J 5 Replies latest jw friends

• franklin J
    franklin J

My wife and I haad tickets to see "The Good Faith" at the LaMaMa Playhouse in New York last nite. It was an "artsy" downtown theater production. Having been tailored for a broad audience, it did not mention the name "Jehovah" once. But for those of us in the audience who were real x JWs ( not actors), it was "unmistakably" the patchwork of our previous lives---with door to door service, issues of saluting the American Flag, love, marriage, commitee meetings, crooked elders and the big disfellowshipping. We all know the drill. The underlying message was one of love. Love each other. That message clearly rang through.

I suspect the the real essence of this show, can only be appreciated by those who really lived it. Who else could possibly understand? The actors were good, and after meeting them at a post theater reception, we congratulated them on their performances and asked them if they really understood the "mind control" they were acting out. The leading lady said she did some research. I did not ask her if she studied with a witness or went door to door. The performances did capture the initial joy of " recieving the good news" and the later anguish and dissapointment of the sad "truth".

Our second big treat for the evening was meeting Joy ( Joy2bfree) and Steve (Jst2laws) and their friends Dorian and Bruce for pre theater dinner. After reading their posts; it was great to meet them in person. It really was like being among old friends ( no pun intended).

It is comforting to know that with our very unique experiences with being X JWs, we all have each other for support and encouragement. This forum has done us all a wonderful service in bringing us all together.

Looking forward to doing this again.

Frank

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Bravo, Frank! Can't wait for the DVD :)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Was 'the world' able to do as well as or better than 'god's org', referring to assembly dramas?

SS

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Was 'the world' able to do as well as or better than 'god's org', referring to assembly dramas?

Well, at least the actors spoke their own lines, instead of lip-synching to recordings...some of them could have used a couple more rehearsals, though. But I really enjoyed it (yes, Mrs. NeonMadman and I attended, too - but couldn't stay for the party afterwards). I did have to wonder, as Franklin intimated, whether someone with no JW background would really have appreciated what was going on, though.

I know there most likely won't be any availability of recordings from the play, but I wish there would be - some of the music was pretty good, imho. There were such rare musical treats as "Let Me In," (sung by the guy who calls on the family initially in field service) and "Disfellowshipped and Shunned," (sung - of course - by the whole congregation). It wasn't Broadway quality, but it was pretty good for what it was. There were some pretty good moments, some touching and funny stuff. As I said, though, I'm not sure how someone who was not familiar with the whole JW thing would react to it, though - not really sure whether it would have much meaning for them. My wife, though she's never been a dub, has heard enough from me to understand what was going on, so I can't really determine the answer to that by asking her.

• Special K
    Special K

Wow, Frank

Who would have thought that someone would make a play out of such a thing.

It must have really been quite interesting.

Your right, it would have to be a play for people like myself who have lived this life.

Glad you had a good time Frank... with good company too.

sincerely

Special K

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Hey ((Frank)) & ((wife))

sure good to meet you and yes that play was something to watch.

We went back friday night to see it again. It was moving for an xjw, it brought me to tears.

It sure was good meeting you and your wife, Frank. It is good to meet people who have adjusted well since leaving the org. Life does go on if we let it and living it well is the best reward.

Hugs,

j2bf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit