Reveal article: Jehovah’s Witnesses settle suit alleging cover-up of child sex abuse

by AndersonsInfo 52 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

My reading of the information that has been presented in this particular case does throw some questions onto the role of the parents. There are numerous reasons why they may not have taken matters in their own hands, none of which absolves them of their part in this sorry tale.

This is why I find the outcome of the case interesting. In my simplistic view the WTS should have a pretty reasonable case to argue that the congregation and organisation was not negligent and that the parents bore the primary responsibility given their knowledge of the situation. I think the legal arguments for this are potentially far more justifiable than other high profile cases we have seen.

The interesting thing is that the case has been settled out of court. It is possible that the victim's legal did a 180 and withdrew the case but I don't think the way the reporting of the outcome has been presented suggests htis. Everything points to an out of court financial settlement and associated gagging order.

Why?

The WTS has a history of straining the gnat with these type of cases, using their legal and financial might to overwhelm the other side. They argue the toss over legal detail in order to try and extricate themselves from liability. If there was one case that would seemingly give them a decent platform on which to successfully argue the WTS has zero liability and set a decent precedent then this one would appear to fit the bill.

So why settle? Why do it so quickly? They have pushed and pushed and pushed on other cases where their culpability is far easier to prove so why not push here when things, frankly, are in their favour. Why make an offer when they could (IMHO) have stood their ground and had a good chance of winning?

The only thing I can think is risk management - make an offer to the victim knowing her legal team would probably recommend taking it and close the whole thing down. It just does not seem to fit the typical WTS legal team MO...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Any parents who willfully neglect the protection of a child should be held accountable. This DOES NOT MAKE THE WTBTS LESS CULPABLE.

This is ONE CASE out of THOUSANDS... If you cannot understand that, you are an idiot.

The WTBTS has no CLERGY/LAITY division or RELIGIOUS HIERARCHY by its own admission. This is a FACT. Therefore, any attempt to use CLERGY/PENITENT PRIVILEGE is a FARCE. Get it through you ignorant, obtuse, watchtarded skulls.

The general ignorance about the actual WT doctrine on the part of the legal authorities is a HUGE factor in the survival of the WTBTS. That is slowly changing, and in time, all will be revealed.

Why Simon has not banned certain ass-hats from this site is beyond me.

Defend your child abusing, legalistic cult and rot in hell.

DD

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Is it ok if I woohoo! DD? Anyway I just did.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Yelling at your opponent at chess does not invalidate his position.

• never a jw
    never a jw

R.O.: Equal protection does apply here because all recognized religions receives this privilege and is not dependent on how the state views a certain religion.

That's not what I was referring to. Equal protection clause should be applied equally across all people,religious or non religious. Why is a priest or an elder enjoying greater privileges than the average Joe, or a doctor, or a teacher. Something very wrong there. Everyone or nobody.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

DD, It is true that WT does not have a clergy/Laity as you state.

But, US law considers that certain communications between elders and others in the congregation are confidential and should not be disclosed.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I find the language of the attorney saying, "A matter with the Jehovah’s Witnesses has been resolved" sounding just like WT.

I bet the payout was big because this really looks bad.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    I find the language of the attorney saying, "A matter with the Jehovah’s Witnesses has been resolved" sounding just like WT.
    I bet the payout was big because this really looks bad.

The language used is very interesting and I suspect was such to meet the terms of the settlement and driven by the WTS.

On the basis of what has been presented publicly along with the typical WT legal MO, I am still a little surprised however that the WTS did not push down the legal line further and try and establish this case as a precedent for limiting their liability and culpability, throwing the parents under the bus on the way.

I wonder if they are actually more keen to silence the noise than have a very public fight?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I couldn't help but think how ironic it would be if the father was put on the stand as a witness for Wt defence. He to was an elder and had just as much responsibility to report as any other elder.

• shadow
    shadow

Whose communications are you claiming fall under c/p privilege? Are you saying that the minor victim was a penitent???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit