Report on Jacksonville losing WT convention

by expatbrit 36 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

City loses big convention
    by Bill Johnson, Special to the Daily Record

Wash your car, it will rain. Build a megameeting hotel in downtown Jacksonville, and watch the megameetings beat a path out of town.

Such seems to be how the downtown's four major hotels see their situation. No sooner does the Adam's Mark open its doors with nearly 1,000 rooms and 110,000 square feet of meeting and exhibition space, than the city has to prepare for what's destined to be one of its quietest and likely least-profitable Julys.

The Watchtower Society of the Jehovah's Witnesses will be setting up shop in Tampa this summer instead of Jacksonville and it is taking its thousands of visiting members and their money with it. Combine that with the loss of March's Cheerleaders of America event and you've got an epic case of bad timing.

The Watchtower loss doesn't just affect one hotel or a few restaurants. This group basically took over downtown Jacksonville during its conventions, which typically spanned two weekends.

"That's a huge piece of business we lost," said John Remmers, general manager of the Omni Hotel. Add to that the general malaise of the economy and its dampening affect on business travel and "you can kind of see our struggles."

Remmers said approximately 700 visitors stayed in his hotel during the event, and he estimates the total number of Watchtower followers visiting the city at about 4,000 to 5,000.

Bob Downey of SMG, the management group the city hired to run the Coliseum, said it is unfortunate the hotels are losing income without the event. But, he said, his group and the city went as far as possible to keep the convention in Jacksonville.

"When we got into it they were paying way below what the prevailing rates were for all the other religious groups and other groups that come to use the facilities in Jacksonville," Downey said.

In addition to the low price, the Watchtower wanted a bare-bones deal, he said: no concessions, no parking deal, no emergency personnel and no custodial service. This caused problems with traffic - because no police were provided - as well as cleaning supply costs and possible culpability on the city's part, since no emergency services were provided for on a city property.

When SMG proposed certain adjustments to the deal to make it more in line with what other groups were paying, Downey said Watchtower officials bypassed his company and went straight to city officials to seek relief.

"In addition," he said, "the entire cost of the rental for the facilities was being given back to them [Watchtower] through a grant from the city's Tourist Development Council." And that amount, basically, wasn't even enough to pay for the utilities during the event, Downey added.

Since the negotiations, he said, several other cities bargaining with Watchtower have called Jacksonville to ask,

"'How do you guys deal with this?'"

"We believed we were being more than fair with them," Downey said. In fact, the Watchtower did have an opportunity for more cost relief from the TDC, but it never made the application for it, he said.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Expatbrit,

thanks for the post. It gives us here
    in Europe, a glimpse of WTS ...dealings.

Agape, J..MacHislopp

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

I find this really interesting being from Central Florida and having gone to the Jacksonville District Assembly each year since I was a teenager. When we found out that we were assigned to St. Petersburg I lost my dinner. But, and here is what is interesting, it was put to the R&F that the reason for the switch was due to the colliseum not being available. Could someone please post the link to that article if it was available on the net. I would really like to print it out and show to some of my family members who are die-hard dubs.

Thank you ever so kindly!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Sorry, forgot to do that in the original post. Here it is: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/public/public%20news/editorial.html

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

This is standard operating procedure for the Watchtower Convention Office.

Local elders responsible for transacting these contracts are little more than sources of information for the WTS. All they really do is let the WTS convention office know who else they can go to for a better deal locally. These men have oftentimes become so embarrassed by WTS tactics and conditions that they are unable to present the deal to officials.

I am all for strong negotiation, but the WTS takes its conditions to such extremes that negotiation is not the word for what they do. What they do is better called unabashed selfishness. This alone would not be so bad, but this selfishness is often at the expense of the rank and file Witness.

Take for instance this case in Jacksonville, FL. (Which by the way used to be Schroeder’s favorite—he likes Jacksonville Beach beaches) The WTS has no qualms about sending thousand of friends further away to a convention site at far greater personal expense. If all you do is count JWs living in or near Jacksonville that now will have to shoulder expenses of traveling to and staying overnight in Tampa, this more than offsets what is probably a measly one or two thousand dollars difference in the WTS getting its way. I have seen the WTS pull out of a convention site for less than a thousand dollars difference, resulting in several thousand conventioneers having to spend hundreds of thousands on hotel and travel expenses that they would not have otherwise had to shoulder. The WTS does not feel it loses in this effect because their statistical studies, I am told, indicate that conventioneers do not contribute any more or less regardless of personal expense to attend. Therefore the WTS convention office has little motive, other than ethical, to shoulder some additional expense for the sake of saving hundreds of thousands on the part of my friends and brothers. This is why the worst side of these affairs is selfishness, selfishness at the friend’s expense.

The WTS may or may not know it, but among local heavies this whole subject is becoming a very sore one. They would probably be surprised at what loyal JWs "in the know" are saying to one another about this.

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

Thanks expatbrit.

I thought of this after my last post. Several years ago, for a couple of years, we had the convention in my area but because the arena people wanted to leave the concessions open, (which would conflict with the crappy burritos the society served) they would not have it there anymore. The funny thing is, had the society agreed to have it there anyway, the majority of witnesses would have still supported the crappy burritos out of loyalty and the arena would have gotten the message that it was not advantageous to insist on having their concessions open. So we had to travel to Jacksonville. Then the society did away with food altogether. It seemed the society was more interested in having it their way than considering the needs of the R&F. I guess things have not changed.

• COMF
    COMF
    The WTS has no qualms about sending thousand of friends further away to a convention site at far greater personal expense.

I don't see it. When it's in your town, you don't have to travel but everybody else does. When it's in another town, you have to travel but the people who live there don't. Sending thousands of Jacksonvillians to Tampa also means thousands of Tampons won't have to travel. It balances out.

COMF

• Maximus
    Maximus

Sore indeed, Marvin; you do know whereof you speak. I doubt that even Gerald Grizzle knows what many REALLY think.

The strong-arm seminars and later directions were repugnant to many, but dutiful theocratic notes of thanks were sent in. Got to remain loyal, maybe they need more cash, er ....

Similar to what's going on with the blood issue. If they knew what many heavies REALLY think ...

Maximus

• Jang
    Jang

So now we have the other big cult in Clearwater (Scientology Headquarters) and over the bridge we have the JW's - boththe biggests scammers this side of the black stump - and for that matter, the other side of the black stump as well. [8>]

JanG
    CAIC Website: http://caic.org.au/zjws.htm
    Personal Webpage: http://uq.net.au/~zzjgroen/

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I don't see it. When it's in your town, you don't have to travel but everybody else does. When it's in another town, you have to travel but the people who live there don't. Sending thousands of Jacksonvillians to Tampa also means thousands of Tampons won't have to travel. It balances out.

One important ingredient in effective negotiation is having and maintaining competing interests. One edge the WTS has in convention negotiations is having other convention cities willing to do business with them. It doesn’t matter whether those other cities do kowtow, just them being a competing interest is enough to bully whip the target. If the target gets out of line then they go to the other city or cities, whether they acquiesces to each and every demand or not. Next year the original target city will, more than likely, be ripe for the pickings. It happens every year. Along these lines, editorials like the one written by Bill Johnson fit the WTS’ needs very nicely. It whips up local private money to pressure city officials into essentially spending public funds for private gains, supposedly for the greater good of the city and its taxpaying citizens. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if the article was incited by WTS reps.

Why do you suppose the WTS convention office doesn’t sponsor conventions in every location having JW demography able to support a district convention? Why doesn’t the WTS organize district conventions in Jacksonville and Tampa—and other cities—to suit the needs of JWs in those areas? After all, if the WTS organized conventions according to JW demography then very few JWs would have to spend money for hotel and travel expenses. Wonder why the WTS does this, particularly in areas like the state of Florida where the JW population is fairly dense? There are enough convention sites conveniently located in Florida so that hardly any JW families must have hotel accommodations, and the size of district conventions could be maintained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit