Do Celebrities Influence You In Making Your Decisions?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

What are you smoking Min?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Robert A. Heinlein said if you're not sure what to do, find some well meaning idiot (there's always one around) ask them what they'd do, then do the exact opposite.

With the celebreties, you don't have to ask, they broadcast their idiocy all the time whether we want it or not.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Hollywood? No. Sports? No

Someone who is an expert on a subject? yes, but with a grain of salt.

• TD
    TD

Only in areas where they can speak authoritatively. (e.g. I'd happily take advice on guitars from any number of musical celebrities.)

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

No way! But I appreciate when one of them uses actual intelligent, fact based, well thought out arguments. Most of what I hear from celebrities are emotion based, "popular among the industry", "political correctness". That drives me bananas.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Min I think the celebrities know they have a wide "stage". They speak and it gets reported to a rather large audience, specifically due to their entertainment popularity. So they use that.

I personally have very much appreciated Leah Remini's use of her celebrity status to shed light on not only Scientology, but also the Watchtower. So sometimes celebrities will use their status for fact based, spread the word, good reasons instead of shallow, emotion based, political correctness.

• blondie
    blondie

Some people may lack a personal identity and try to develop one that others seem to admire because of their celebrity. They may copy hairstyle, clothing, music, etc. And then a new trend comes along, and people like this change again.

I try hard not to do that and make my own decisions and my own mistakes.

• minimus
    minimus

These people are like sheeple. If someone viewed as prominent believes something, everyone else is supposed to follow suit. Everyone get down on one knee now!!! Ok😶

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Man Anxiously Awaiting Late-Night Shows So He Can Learn What To Think About Day's Political News

SAN DIEGO, CA—As a self-described “news junkie,” Jeff Clark, 29, takes in a lot of information daily. Confirming to reporters that today was no exception, he reported how anxiously he is awaiting tonight’s lineup of late-night shows, so he can learn from the hosts what to think about today’s political news, and how to respond to it.

“Some heavy stuff went down today,” the restless account manager told reporters. “I think I know how I feel about most of it, but I won’t be sure until I hear what Fallon, Colbert, and Kimmel have to say tonight.”

“Oh man, I’ve got all these Facebook statuses to reply to. Tonight can’t get here quickly enough,” he confirmed, adding that the networks should really run these shows in the early evening.

To kill time before the shows air, Clark busied himself refreshing TMZ’s website to see if any of his most trusted celebrities had opined on the day’s events.

• minimus
    minimus

This guy can’t be 😳 real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit