Witnesses pledge $5.5M to fix crummy Dumbo park

by OrphanCrow 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Witnesses pledge $5.5M to fix crummy Dumbo park

They will clean up before they leave.
    The Jehovah’s Witnesses will give the city $5.5 million to overhaul a run-down Dumbo park the organization promised to make-over more than a decade ago as part of a lucrative rezoning deal, after local pols demanded the group finally honor its pledge before it sells all its land and decamps from the borough for good.
    The sect — officially the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society — believes the money will be enough to cover its share of the long-stalled plans for the land.
    “Watchtower has set aside this amount to cover the funds officials estimated the city would need to take over this project and complete the current vision for the park,” the group told this paper.
    The religious outfit offered to fix the moribund Bridge Park 2 — a slab of crumbling concrete next to York Street station and quite possibly the crummiest park in the city — in 2004, when the city agreed to let the group build a huge housing complex on a massive parking lot next door at 85 Jay St.
    Plans at the time included a turf baseball field, a new playground, and a lighted path from the subway station to the neighboring Farragut Houses development.
    But Watchtower never actually built the new property, and the planning process for the park facelift dragged for years through various design permeations, eventually hitting an impasse over cost and labor — the Witnesses wanted to use its members as volunteer workers, which is not how the city typically does business.
    The group’s announcement last month that it is selling 85 Jay St. — now incredibly valuable thanks to the residential rezoning — as part of its mass exodus from the neighborhood it has long called home sparked renewed calls for the Witnesses to keep their vow and put some of the massive windfall to good use.
    “It is unacceptable that since the Watchtower committed to work with the Parks Department, over 11 years have passed, the site has seen no improvements, and remains a piece of barren asphalt,” a host of local pols and business leaders wrote in a letter to the organization in December.
    It remains to be seen whether $5.5 million will be enough to take the park from drab to fab, however — the parks department said it can’t estimate the total costs without a concrete plan for the park in place. Watchtower honchos say they have one ready, based on the city’s most recent requests for the site, which now include a skate park and a multipurpose field.
    Those pushing for the park renewal say they also want more details before celebrating, but the pledge is still good news.
    “Without seeing the details, that seems like a significant step in the right direction,” said Councilman Steve Levin (D–Boerum Hill), one of the letter-writing pols. “I would like to sit down in a formal way with them and the parks department to see exactly what the plans are.”

*Note that the rezoning raised the value of the WT property. One of the major players responsible for rezoning in New York is a Taurus man (Lorenz Reibling's real estate company) who sits on the board of the Empire State Development Corp.

"The group’s announcement last month that it is selling 85 Jay St. now incredibly valuable thanks to the residential rezoning".

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

This will be interesting. They don't need any more negative PR, that's for sure. I hope the council finds the WTBTS's concrete plans to be insufficient. I also hope they lose all their profit from the re-zoning! 😈

Maybe I'm a real douche, but I can't wait until the WTBTS is reduced to renting empty rooms above Free Mason centers again, or reduced to small meetings in private homes. That's how it should be anyway. Then they could learn to focus on helping their neighbors by some actual charity, instead of their Real Estate portfolio.

DD

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    DD:I also hope they lose all their profit from the re-zoning! 😈

Me too. The WT had wanted to reduce their investment in the park by their typical route - slave labour - and the city was having none of it. It appears like the reason the park plans were stalled was because the city wouldn't let them use volunteers to do the work.

But Watchtower never actually built the new property, and the planning process for the park facelift dragged for years through various design permeations, eventually hitting an impasse over cost and labor — the Witnesses wanted to use its members as volunteer workers, which is not how the city typically does business.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They're begging for Sophia's ice cream money, but they can toss $5.5 million to the City.

I'm telling you, this scramble for money is all about "looking" broke when all the pedo lawsuits hit the fan.

Doc

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph
    OrphanCrow: Note that the rezoning raised the value of the WT property. One of the major players responsible for rezoning in New York is a Taurus man (Lorenz Reibling's real estate company) who sits on the board of the Empire State Development Corp.

Excellent research. What a connection!?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Petra:
    Excellent research. What a connection!?
    OrphanCrow: Note that the rezoning raised the value of the WT property. One of the major players responsible for rezoning in New York is a Taurus man (Lorenz Reibling's real estate company) who sits on the board of the Empire State Development Corp.

Thanks, Petra. Yes, apparently that is how real estate business is done in the Big Apple.

Howard Zemsky is a Managing Partner at Taurus Capital partners LLC.

http://littlesis.org/relationship/view/id/248745

From this article published in August 2015:

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/articles/2015/8/28/brooklyn-bridge-parks-pier-6-public-comment-deadline-monday

The deadline for the public to comment to the Empire State Development Corp. (ESD) on the proposed Pier 6 development in Brooklyn Bridge Park is Monday, Aug. 31, at 5 p.m.
    The board of the ESD will have a major decision on their hands. While the city says two high-rise towers at the park’s Atlantic Avenue entrance are financially necessary and provide a spot for affordable housing, opponents – including neighborhood organizations, officials and local residents -- have presented a nearly solid wall of opposition.

At the end of the article, we find out a little bit more about the Managing Partner of Taurus Capital LLC, a Reibling company.

Board of Directors of the Empire State Development Corp.
    Howard Zemsky, (Ex Officio Director); Empire State Development, President and CEO; NYS Department of Economic Development, Commissioner
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    Even though $5.5M, seems like a lot to a poor slob like myself, somehow I think they're lowballing this with the hopes of avoiding a future lawsuit for millions more.
  • betterdaze
    betterdaze
    At the end of the article, we find out a little bit more about the Managing Partner of Taurus Capital LLC, a Reibling company.
    Orphan Crow, I sincerely appreciate your sleuthing efforts and follow them closely. However, you’ve made a false connection that requires correcting.

Howard Zemsky owns Taurus Capital Partners, a private equity firm in Buffalo. His projects focus on Buffalo and western NY state.

Riebling’s Taurus Investment Holdings, a global real estate company based in Boston (with a NYC office) is a completely different entity. Mr. Zemsky has no affiliation with them other than a similar name. Dozens of registered companies all throughout the U.S. carry the name "Taurus".

Zemsky’s recent (January 2015) appointment to Empire State Development is a state-wide agency stewardship role that has had, and will, have some oversight with DUMBO projects going forward. Mr. Zemsky was never involved with the Watchtower’s rezoning efforts prior, and specifically NOT through the Reiblings at all.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Betterdaze, thank you for the information. I stand corrected.

Sorry....

My apologies to Mr. Zemsky.

* I was getting all the Taurus companies confused. Reibling has his finger in so many Taurus companies. This is from Reiblings' site http://www.tiholdings.com/:

"Taurus, TIH, and Taurus Investment are the international marketing names for all activities of Taurus Investment Group, Inc., Taurus Investment Holdings, LLC,

Taurus Capital Markets, LLC, Taurus Management Services, LLC, Taurus New England Investment Corp. and their affiliates."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit