200-Year Anniversary of The Even Tide (1823) by John Aquila Brown

by Chevelle 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chevelle
    Chevelle

Hi all

This is my first post. I am a PIMO who has been lurking for a while and I hope to make new friends here.

For now, I would just like to highlight that this year marks 200 years since John Aquila Brown wrote that crazy book(let) of speculations that Charles Taze Russell practically copy/pasted into his "Studies in the Scriptures" which eventually affected all of our lives in one way or another.

Cheers

Chevelle

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

I have heard of the name "John Aquila Brown", and also that he was the first to come up with the "Seven Times" equals 2520 years nonsense.

Other than that, he is a complete mystery!

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why do you call it a crazy booklet of speculations?

They used scriptures that they thought were prophetic that related to their times. They came up with the 2520 years of Daniel 4 as it was yet ahead of them. They were wise for their times and it was not nonsense, simply because without that, how is it explained that Jesus never became king when it was prophesied to David that his offspring would rule Jehovah's throne forever?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

other than that, he is a complete mystery

lol

welcome to the forum friend. Interesting info, incredible that such a crazy piece of random musing should have such a profoundly destructive influence on millions of lives even 200 years later!

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Welcome Chevelle, good to see that you have now joined in, it took me quite a while.

The cumulative knowledge of all thing JW here is mind boggling.

RB

• Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

Thanx Chevelle, for reminding us of this step in the development of the virus that caused us all to develop brain fever and subsequent hallucinations.

There are previous posts (around 10years ago) on this topic, and a link to the document you refer to:

https://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/docs/1823_Even-Tide_Gentile_Times.pdf

Enjoy your stay on this site, and never forget that among the many definitions of 'faith' is this one:

"strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof," though i much prefer this succinct one, "faith is a belief in bullshit"

• Chevelle
    Chevelle
    Thanks all. Yes, I also believe that faith is a belief in bullshit. And that probably dates back over 4,000 years (Zoroastrianism maybe?) when man first figured out how to tap into that part of the brain to manipulate the masses.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

A warm welcome Chevelle ! I think the start of "belief" was at least before 9,000 BCE, the finds in Turkey show that "belief", and if you like "organised religion", was already strong enough by that time to build Temples etc.

John Aquila Brown was no doubt as guilty as William Miller in influencing C.T.Russell, an Adventist, to proceed with his own version, highly plagiarised, of predictions. Russell learned nothing from "The Great Disappointment" of 1844/5, and proceeded to make the same mistake as Miller at least twice, following in his footsteps Boozer Rutherford did the same thing with 1925, and Mad Freddie Franz with 1975. JW org are Serial Offenders in Committing the religious Crime of False Prophecy !

Looking forward to hearing more from your good self !

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Thanks for bringing up the subject of John Aquila Brown. No doubt the Adventist beliefs of William Miller, Charles Russell, and all the others would never have taken root without Brown.

I do think it has roots earlier than that. Not long ago I got a chance to look at a copy of Ussher's Chronology (reprinted in modern text) and it hit me that the time calculations of the Adventists were made possible by Ussher. It is a phenomenal book, wrong in places, but still quite an impressive book for one man to accomplish in the 1600's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit