Children and the Troof

by Nosferatu 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Or worse the player gets pulled into the back room for hours and the game locks up for several hours worth of lecturing to you...eheh

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I have to agree with the posts on this thread about reading. I was reading by four, and learned how from the JW literature. I also was taught how to speak publically at an early age, and how to do research. So it wasn't all for nought.

By five I was digging my Father's detective magazines out of the mailbox, stealing away with them to my room, and then putting them back after consuming every delicious detective morsel! I got a few whippings over it, but it was worth every minute. Hehhehe. By 8, I was reading all the literature in the KH library, which back then contained some very scandalous material from the early days of the Society. I had read Darwin's Survival of the Fittest by 9, which was also in the KH library.

Reading was the only thing that kept me sane.

CG

• yxl1
    yxl1

Being a Dubchild hindered my reading progress. I hated reading the crap they produced, but wasnt allowed to read anything else. From the age of 8, I would spend most Saturdays (after field ministry of course) reading SCIFI and horror novels in our local library. Man, that place was a sanctuary for me. Only when I felt brave, I would sneak them home. Often I was caught and given a lashing, but it was worth it.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I use to enjoy the dramas in the summer conventions. It use to be that in the summer conventions there was a drama everyday, then it was wittled down to two and now I dont even think they have the dramas anymore. It is tough being a JW youth however. Boring, boring, boring, then you have school to contend with.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    It use to be that in the summer conventions there was a drama everyday, then it was wittled down to two and now I dont even think they have the dramas anymore.

I remember when they had 2 dramas. One drama had to do with a story from the bible, and one had to do with a story from the WTS. The ladder was the boring drama. They would talk about field service, family studies, etc. Now they've combined the two into one drama per convention.

I think the WTS made me detest reading. I didn't enjoy the JWs when my mother started studying. I remember happily playing with my toys, then my mother would call me to the kitchen table, and we'd read from the book of bible stories or the great teacher. I also remember when "My Book of Bible Stories" replaced my other reading material for a bedtime story. I also knew when I would be forced to sit down for reading. The "Your Youth" and the "Great Teacher" books were read to me after beatings, and used to "councel me". It was always contradictory because I remembered that scripture that said "Let all wrath and screaming and abusive speech be taken away from you". I think that's how that scripture went.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I liked the Bible story cassettes. They were a good way to introduce children to a cultural treasure, the Bible.

The drama tapes were the BEST. The Society had such a winner with the dramas, I can't understand why they stopped them. It's the thing that EVERYONE still looks forward to, I don't know why they've dumbed them down and sped them up and modernized them so much.

I want to see men in striped robes and fake beards chasing each other around a golden calf with wooden swords, dammit! I want women turning into salt and fake snakes crawling across the stage!

It's harmless fantasy, and it's good for at least an hour's worth.

The Society is like, "Why are you wandering around the halls when there is such good talks going on?" Well, turn the talks into dramas, and you won't need to send the Kendolls around with signs saying ,"Sit the hell down and shut the hell up!"

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit