"Winging" OFF the board!

by Bendrr 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I decided to annoy someone other than Simon and the moderators for a change. So I decided to raise the ire of my local bible-thumpers. Well actually this ain't the first time, but the local paper put my letter in a special spot on the letters page this time so I expect some fire and brimstone very quickly and heavily.

On the letters page, there's a section reserved for longer letters. Almost always those letters come from those who have been writing in to the paper for a long long time. I've written quite a few myself in the last year or so and they always get printed, so I guess the editors must like me. Well this time they gave me a little more recognition by putting my letter in the special section.

Let me preface it. Here in Georgia, it's against the law for stores to sell alcohol on Sundays. The law does allow for restaurants to sell on Sundays, provided no less than half of their revenue comes from food and the local city/town gov't passes a referendum allowing the sales. Well my old home town of Perry tried to pass just such a referendum and the local churches got together and out-voted it. A resident of Perry wrote in to the paper to object to the churches' involvement in the vote and I "got his back".

Here goes:

Macon Telegraph, 11/17/2003.

Sunday alcohol sales ban makes no sense

Once again the debate over Sunday alcohol sales rears its horned, evil head and certain people cower in terror at the prospect that drink may flow somewhat freely on their holy day.

Very well then. Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

Mr. Turner's response to the well-written and courageous letter by Mr. Huckeba of Perry said "The clerics...are doing what they are called by God to do...uphold his word. The Bible tells us to remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." That makes me more than a little uncomfortable when I think of what God has "called" people to do in the past, like the Inquisition and Salem witch trials.

Nowhere in the Bible does it even imply that "upholding God's word" includes enforcing Biblical law, or interpretations thereof, upon the populace in general. Jesus made no effort to get involved with the local politics of the time, and also stated more than once that his followers were "no part of this world."

This country is a representative republic, not a theocracy. If Mr. Turner or anyone else wants a theocracy, I and many others would be happy to buy them a ticket to Iran so they can see just how well one works.

Furthermore, I have read the Bible from cover to cover more than once. Nowhere can I find any commandment to abstain from alcohol on the Sabbath.

I really have to wonder just why some feel so threatened by the possibility of alcohol sales on Sundays. Just because it's available doesn't mean they have to go buy it and consume it, nor does it mean that Sundays will turn into a day of drunken debauchery spilling out into the streets. There are already enough laws on the books to deal with what might happen should some irresponsible individual happen to misuse alcohol on a Sunday or any other day of the week.

Maybe we can all reach a compromise. In fact, I have a unique one in mind. Since eliminating "blue laws" around here is as likely as a Britney Spears poster on the wall of Taliban headquarters, I recommend that they be amended to apply to Christians only. In order to purchase a six-pack on a Sunday, one must identify him or herself as non-Christian. Agnostics, atheists and other non-Christians may purchase and consume alcohol on Sundays, provided they don't drive drunk or get drunk in public of course, but Christians may not.

That didn't make much sense did it? Well, guess what, people? Neither does the ban on Sunday alcohol sales!

Mike Ganas
    Macon

Oh boy they're just gonna LOVE that!

Mike.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Hey Mike, can you post some of the responses to your very well written letter? Bug

• avishai
    avishai
    That didn't make much sense did it?

I think it makes perfect sense!

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Your article will appeal to the open-minded. The once upon a time Catholic Quebec Canada had a similiar practice, it's since changed.

Guest 77

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    Mr. Turner's response to the well-written and courageous letter by Mr. Huckeba of Perry said "The clerics...are doing what they are called by God to do...uphold his word. The Bible tells us to remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."

Well, they screwed up on that one long ago since the Sabbath is actually on Saturday.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I like that letter. I think I will dip my toes into controversial politics by launching a campaign against PA's repressive blue laws.

CZAR

• Satanus
    Satanus

Godspeed

SS

• Prisca
    Prisca
    In order to purchase a six-pack on a Sunday, one must identify him or herself as non-Christian. Agnostics, atheists and other non-Christians may purchase and consume alcohol on Sundays, provided they don't drive drunk or get drunk in public of course, but Christians may not.

Excellent reasoning against a idiotic law!

BTW, you can buy alcohol every day here in Australia!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Sorry to wreck/hijack your thread.

But you can buy booze in Canada: every day of the week, in most provinces/territories.

19 maximum age in most provinces (all other provinces/territories): 18 minimum age (Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta).

There may be exceptions, but I think they are few.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hey Bend,

I lived in Georgia for many, many years and raised my kids there. I have attended many of the conventions there in Macon and even stayed in Perry at the Hampton Inn. Very pretty little southern town. Even went in a grocery store there and used a buggy.

You know, Georgia is mostly Southern Baptist. Many of them believe that the wine mentioned in the Bible was really plain grape juice. My brother is a Baptist minister and he explained that to me. Most of them believe that any alcohol consumed on any day is evil. They would take away the right to drink alcohol everyday if they could. They do have support from other denominations who don't outright ban alcohol the other six days. I think in Georgia it's going to be tough to turn that law around. Not saying it can't be done but it will be tough.

Excellent letter you wrote. I can see why they printed what you write. You make sense and you say it well. Maybe they hope you will open some eyes as well as minds. I hope so. Georgia would be a happier place without all the religious influence on the politics there.

Heather

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit