When did JWS start disfellowshipping and why?

by lettersfromthevoid 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• lettersfromthevoid
    lettersfromthevoid

I know this question has been discussed, but I can't find the topic I was just looking at, so...

One thing about this is that the other posters here didn't mention, that I noticed anyway, that there was this member of the GB in the 40s and early 50s (but possibly during Rutherford) who was at odds with Rutherford or Knorr, and they wanted to do away with them, so they accused (falsely) that person, then they declared that the punishment for that sin was something they invented, or at least Once iteration of, what we know as the modern disfellowshipping practice among JWs.

So, that is why they invented that doctrine; they

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

DFing and Shunning were things in the time of Rutherford, as his words in this WT show :

Watchtower 1920 Apr 1 pp.100,101

"We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel. If others see it in a different way, that is their privilege. There should be full liberty of conscience."

It is interesting that this very much mirrors what the Org. wishes to achieve now, i.e that treatment of individuals who disagree with the Org, for any reason will not change from the overt practices of the past, but will be identified as INDIVIDUAL JW's "Exercising their Bible trained conscience ".

Thus the Org. can argue in Courts that it is not mandated by them, which we of course KNOW is not true, for individual J.W's to go against their natural love for friends and family would not happen based upon Scripture, but will continue because of fear of being perceived as going against the "direction" of the G.B.

• lettersfromthevoid
    lettersfromthevoid

Do you happen to remember the name of the first high profile Bethelite to get disfellowshipped. Pretty sure there was even a law suit about it. He's a familiar name, just can't remember it.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Not 100% sure, but that sounds like Olin Moyle.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"Shunning" began I believe in the early 1950s.

Why?

Thats an even tougher question. I think its just a measure to control people as the Borg seen fit. To reinvent itself as they want to. You know make it up as they went along.

Like when they doubled-down in '81 to include those who disassociated,,, to be shunned & treated as such.

• +
    +

Hier eine Abhandlung von mir.

Der Gemeinschaftsentzug wurde eingeführt, weil 1945 nicht das Ende kam.

Die eigenen Mitglieder lachten die Leitende Körperschaft aus.

------------------------

Here is a paper from me.

Disfellowshipment was introduced because the end did not come in 1945.

Their own members laughed at the Governing Body.

http://www.manfred-gebhard.de/Parsimony.23210.htm

https://jessussirach.jimdofree.com/gemeinschaftsentzug/

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    lettersfromthevoid - When did JWS start disfellowshipping and why?”

When too many members started figuring out the WTS was wrong.

Which kind of answers both questions.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

As a control measure.

To shut people up. From exposing them.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

When Rutherford grabbed the reigns of Watchtower upon Russel's death he kicked scads of Bethelites and others to the curb, accusing anyone who wouldn't accept him, as an "Apostate". Effectively "Disfellowshipping" them 1916-17.

Both 3rd gen's mom and mine told stories of wild stuff going on in the 1940s by even the Circuit Overseers that instituted the formal policies in the beginning of the 1950s by Knorr (1952?).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Remember, folks…

…the moment you use heavy-handed (or under-handed) methods in your attempt to claim the moral high ground…

…you forfeit the moral high ground.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit