Creationist threatens academic science standards group with words of Jesus

by Gopher 129 Replies latest social current

• Gopher
    Gopher

A certain Christian uses threats to "witness" to a public school committee.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4215964.html

Science standards committee taken aback by creationist's e-mail

Associated Press
    Published November 17, 2003

Some members of the committee working to develop Minnesota's science standards were unnerved recently by e-mails sent from an Albert Lea man who heads a creationist group.

Bryce Gaudian referred to a grim biblical reminder of what awaits them if they don't provide students with both sides of the evolution vs. creationism argument. The 40-member committee is deciding on the new academic science standards, which will guide instruction in Minnesota public school classrooms.

Each member received a packet from Gaudian containing two letters, three books, three videos, two pamphlets and 23 articles. Each member also received a couple of e-mails from him.

"All I really should have needed to send each of you would have been the book of Genesis," he wrote in one of the e-mails.

Later in that e-mail, the line that upset some committee members appeared.

He wrote that if members were willing to include only evolution in the science standards, "then I must reiterate to you all once again Scripture's stern warning of grave peril for your offense: 'But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea; woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! (Matthew 18:6-7).' "

Russanne Low, one of the committee members, was taken aback by the threatening language and wrote a letter to Cheri Pierson Yecke, the state's education commissioner.

She said the packets were harmless, but when the e-mail with the biblical verse arrived it was hard to determine the exact meaning behind it.

Yecke sent an e-mail to Gaudian and the science standards' committee members, calling his e-mail "inappropriate." She applauded him for the courage of his convictions, but wrote that the biblical language he used "is not in keeping with the civil tone that permeated all aspects of the debate during our many public hearings."

Gaudian said he was disappointed by Yecke's response. He also said he's heard back from about seven committee members, thanking him for the material.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Ah....when you can't use logic, use the next best thing: threats of eternal destruction.

• Enishi
    Enishi

Anyone who would resort to using threats from the scriptures probably feels very insecure about the validity of the position they're defending in the first place.

• hooberus
    hooberus

I wouldn't equate a scriptural warning with being a "threat."

Bryce Gaudian referred to a grim biblical reminder of what awaits them if they don't provide students with both sides of the evolution vs. creationism argument. The 40-member committee is deciding on the new academic science standards, which will guide instruction in Minnesota public school classrooms.

Why are evolutionists so afraid of students hearing both sides of the debate. Why should only evolution be taught?

Should only postive evidence for evolution be presented and scientific criticism be censored from the students?

Do we wish to give students an origins education or an evolutionary indoctrination?

• Valis
    Valis
    Do we wish to give students an origins education or an evolutionary indoctrination?

neither. How about a class for science and a class for religious studies? That way students could learn about evolutionary science in SCIENCE class and then in RELIGIOUS class they could make up their own mind about the myriad of creation myths from around the globe. Not just the Biblical version. To me very distinct things that have no business bleeding into one another.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Creationists can try all they want to poke holes in the theory of evolution. But they have no alternative scientific theory to offer. Do you think that a science class can be developed off the first chapter of Genesis? I don't see how.

If and when there is actually a credible scientific alternative to evolution, I am entirely in favor of teaching it in the classroom. Until then, we have to stick with the best science we've got.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The e-mailer was wishing to invoke the wrath of God or Jesus upon anyone who didn't bend to his religious beliefs about the earth's origin.

He wrote... I must reiterate to you all once again Scripture's stern warning of grave peril for your offense.

Many reasonable persons would agree that threats and harrassment are defined by the perception of the recipient, rather than the intention of the person communicating such thoughts. So notice the reaction of at least one member of the standards group:

Russanne Low, one of the committee members, was taken aback by the threatening language and wrote a letter to Cheri Pierson Yecke, the state's education commissioner.
    If Ms. Low felt threatened, then she was threatened. The e-mailer should have immediately apologized upon learning of how his message was received, regardless of his intent. He's a Christian after all, right? Merciful, kind -- full of fruitages of the spirit, eh?
  • Valis
    Valis

eh Gopher you know the ploy very well and when it comes down to brass tacks the old standby is eternal death at the hands of a vengeful god.......oh and BTW my condolances for yesterday's tragedy.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• hooberus
    hooberus
    If Ms. Low felt threatened, then she was threatened. The e-mailer should have immediately apologized upon learning of how his message was received, regardless of his intent. He's a Christian after all, right? Merciful, kind -- full of fruitages of the spirit, eh?

I disagree with this standard.

• Valis
    Valis

What hoobie? Gotta get the wrath of god involved instead of coming up with another solution? AND why isn't teaching religious myths and values at home not good enough? Is the faith of the average christian not able to withstand the onslaught of an hour's worth of looking at evolutionary science? Give is all a break and crawl back under the bridge from whence you trolled.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit