Where's Mithras ???

by skiz 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hooberus
    hooberus

http://www.tektonics.org/tekton_04_02_04_MMM.html

Finally, we are told of the "largest near-eastern Mithraeum [which] was built in western Persia at Kangavar, dedicated to 'Anahita, the Immaculate Virgin Mother of the Lord Mithras'." This is a very curious claim which is repeated around the Internet, but no source is given for it, and Acharya attributes it to a "writer" with no name or source. I believe, however, that I have found the terminal source, and it is a paper written in 1993 by a then-high school student, David Fingrut, who made this claim without any documentation whatsoever himself. His paper is now posted on the Net as a text file. That said, it is inaccurate to start with, since the building at Kanagvar is not a Mithraeum at all, but a temple to Anahita (dated 200 BC), and although I have found one source of untested value that affirms that Anahita was depicted as a virgin (in spite of being a fertility goddess!), she is regarded not at Mithra's mother, but as his consort (though it does offer other contradictory info) -- and it knows nothing of such an inscription as described; and the mere existence of the goddess Anahita before the Roman era proves nothing. Acharya appears to be throwing ringers again.

Is there any primary source documentation available for the "virgin birth" claim?

• gumby
    gumby

Hoob,

Mithras? rock tomb (and place of re-birth) ? the ?petra?, was central to each Mithraeum. The rock connection was later re-worked into the legend of Saint Peter. Can you see this argument hoob?

As far as a connection to a virgin birth......would it convince even if you were shown? How many similarities of Jesus with pagan gods does it take?

BTW......where is Jesus anyways.......he said he was coming quickly if I recall? He said that 2000 years ago though. He's slow ain't he?

Heres some more on virgin births,

http://www.crosscircle.com/CH_2m.htm

Gumby

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

JESUS CHRIST HOOBERUS. Let it go. These endless debates about documentation from a site which infamously misquotes and misleads. If you are wanting another book that refers to this Persian virgin birth check out, The Origins of all Religious Worship page 237. Interestingly the Persian messiah Zaranthuatra was said to have been born of a virgin.(crossing of myths?) Mircea Eliade's A history of religious ideas says on pg. 329 that the Nativity stuff came from Iranian (Persian)sources. Or better yet ask Archya or whatever her name is what her source was. I doubt she's been politely contacted by the Tektoniks author. Further he betrays his ignorance of Mythology by being confused as to how a virgin can be a fertility Goddess. Such was quite common! The traditions also regularly transfer the Goddess from lover/sister to mother roles in fertility cults! This is not doctrine these are dramas. This guy is either a complete amateur or is blowing smoke. You're too smart for this hooberus. Get your head out of that ridiculous site and begin reading first hand what these scholars are saying and why. Whether the persian Mithra character was confused wth another similar cult from the same area or if the cult had local variations that included a virgin birth, I don't know. Nor do I care.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    > home > search

Search

Main
    Search
    Feedback
    Submit article

Areas
    Mythology
    Folklore
    Bestiary
    Heroes
    Image gallery
    Genealogy tables
    Featured items

Information
    Information
    What's new?

Miscellaneous
    Miscellaneous
    Pronunciations
    Links

Your search for anahita found the following documents (of 6199 documents searched).

Displaying documents 1-3 of 3, with best matches first:

1. Anahita
    The ancient Persian water goddess, fertility goddess, and patroness of women, as well as a goddess of war. Her name means 'the immaculate one'. She is portrayed as a virgin, dressed in a golden cloak, and wearing a diamond tiara (sometimes also carry...
    Last modified: 06 Jan 2003 File size: 6k Relevance: 7.
  • peacefulpete
  • BOOK II
  • BOOK III
  • BOOK IV
  • Volume 2
  • BOOK V
  • BOOK VI
  • BOOK VII
  • BOOK VIII
  • BOOK IX
  • W. W. How, J. Wells, A Commentary on Herodotus
    BOOK I
    Your current position in the text is marked in red. Click anywhere on the line to jump to another position.

Table of ContentsGo to

Commentary on Herodotus, Histories . book 1, chapter 131:section 3.
    "Mithra" occurs 3 times on this page.

CXXXI.[3] têi Ouraniêi. This passage is important in three ways :

(1) It illustrates Persian borrowing from foreigners (135. 1); they had mixed with their dualistic creed many alien elements. The worship of the Oriental love-goddess Anaitis was combined with the old Iranian worship of Ardvî Sûra by Artaxerxes Longimanus (465-425) (Berosus, fr. 16, F. H. G. ii. 508; he calls him tou Dareiou tou Ôchou , but this must be a mistake). The king set up her statues for worship in Ecbatana and Susa, though previously the Persians agalmata theôn ou xula kai lithous hupeilêphasin hôsper Hellênes , oude mên ibidas kai ichneumonas , kathaper Aiguptioi , alla pur te kai hudôr hôs philosophoi. For the worship of Anaitis, which was especially established in Armenia, cf. Strabo, 532. For the quaint story of her worship in Skye cf. Boswell's Johnson, v. 218 (B. Hill's edition). For Ardvî Sûra , originally ?the holy water spring?, cf. Yast 5; xxiii. 52 seq.

(2) H. makes a strange mistake in confusing this worship with that of Mithra , the god of heavenly light, ?who foremost in golden array takes hold of the beautiful summits? (Yast 10. 4; xxiii. 123). Mithra , at first only closely connected with the sun, was later [p. 113] identified with him (cf. the frequent inscription ?Deo invicto Soli Mithrae?). His worship became most important in the later developments of the Persian religion; Artaxerxes II is the first to invoke him and Anaitis, along with Orrnazd. His feast was a solemn festival, at which the Persian king was expected to get drunk (Duris, fr. 13, F. H. G. ii. 473). For Mithraism in Roman times, when it was a formidable rival to Christianity, cf. Dill, Roman Society from Nero, pp. 585 seq.; it was the special religion of the legions (cf. R. Kipling's fine poem in Puck of Pook's Hill). H. seems to have been misled by the likeness of the names ?Mylitta? and ? Mithra ?, and perhaps by the fact that they were both heavenly divinities (v. i. for Mylitta).

(3) The passage shows the close connexion of Aphrodite with the Babylonian Mylitta, the Assyrian Ishtar, the Phoenician Astarte; whether there was actual borrowing, or whether independent cults were assimilated, it is impossible to say; probably both were the case (v. i.). Ishtar was the queen of the gods, at once warrior goddess and goddess of generation, the destroyer of life and its renewer. From Assyria her worship spread to Phoenicia (cf. 105. 2 n. for her temple at Ashkelon), and thence to Cyprus (for her temple at Paphos cf. Tac. Hist. ii. 2-3; 105. 3 n.). Her shrine at Cythera was founded by Phoenicians (105. 2 n.), and was the oldest in Greece (cf. her epithet Kuthereia in Od. viii. 288). For the rites at her temple in Babylon cf. c. 199 n.; for impure ritual in Greece (at Corinth only) Strabo, 378, and Athen. 573. She was identified at once with the evening star, ?the star of love,? and with the moon (cf. Milton, P. L. i. 439, ?Astarte, queen of heaven, with crescent horns?); this later identification was probably due to a confusion with Isis and Hathor, who are represented as supporting on their horned heads the solar disk ; these symbols were mistakenly interpreted as the crescent and the full moon. That the Greeks were conscious of the partially foreign origin of Aphrodite is shown by her epithets Kupris (Il. v. 330), Kuprogenês (Hesiod), &c.; for these cf. Od. viii. 362.

There may have been an original native goddess in Greece who was identified with the Oriental goddess; so at Mycenae are found naked female figures with hands on breasts, and in some cases with a dove (cf. Schuchhardt's Schliemann, figs. 180-2), which may well be independent of direct Oriental influence. The Greeks took over from the East her title of Ourania without understanding it: hence they attempted to distinguish Aphrodite O., the goddess of pure love, from A. pandêmos (Paus. ix. 16. 4; cf. Xen. Symp. 8. 9-10 for the supposed contrast in their worships); but this is a later and artificial explanation. (For the evidence cf. Driver, Hastings' Dict., s. v. Ashtoreth, and more fully Farnell, C. G. S. ii. 618 seq.)

The name Mylitta is probably the ?bilit? or ?belit? of the Assyrian inscriptions = ?lady?, i. e. the feminine of Baal or Bel = ?lord?. [p. 114]

Aliat (cf. iii. 8. 3) = Al Ilât, ?the goddess.? What was originally a common noun became a proper name ; so ?Astarte?, properly an epithet signifying fruitfulness (Deut. vii. 13), became the name of a goddess.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I offer this further bit to sooth Hooberus' mind, perhaps as this reference site suggested Persian deities like Mithras were melded with Greek and Egyptian counterparts, in some locations more so than others. Mithra as a solar god could easily be crossed with Horus or others whose virgin birth is well documented. So whether or not you and I can locate a reference that expressly says Mithra had a mother in some version of his myth, such a thing is certainly possible.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit