God is Real in Principle

by looter 251 Replies latest jw friends

• Viviane
    Viviane

Rebelfighter, even Christians can't agree on what they mean. Why should any of the rest of us bother when they can't get it together?

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you Anonymaus1914 and DJS I do appreciate the encouragement.

Rebelfighter I don't need to check my facts because I am correct.

I did not say that ALL christians take those ethical positions. Millions do and they base their intransigent stance on what they think their god commands.

Basing morality on an imaginary "absolute" standard of morality leads to bad ethics.

Objective secular morality is superior to an ethical system based on faith.

• looter
    looter

I disagree, cofty. If said person has extremely similar standards to an atheist and he judges them that way just because of what they believe, then they aren't being fair. A person that ties morality with what they believe as a supreme being can lead to "bad ethics" but can also forward said person to good morals that he never would have had without that unfounded belief in a God. I wouldn't say one form of ethics is superior to another because they each can lead to good or bad lengths. Some disbelievers are just too rational that they lose or never even had feelings for their common man and Christians along with other believers of God can think that God wants them to do something so shameful that it doesn't even matter the person. They really are just two sides of the same coin, after all.

• looter
    looter

Viviane, I'm talking about the soul that is the essence of who we are as a person. You may have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I wasn't talking about a physical God or the God many religious people trust in. I've been throughout this topic talking about God as in our inner spirit of value. But most think I'm talking about God is in the creator of the universe. But here's the deal, I respect that belief and try not to mock it or anything.

• Viviane
    Viviane

What is the essence of who we are as a person? You've just replaced one undefined term with another. What is an inner spirit of value? Christians have different values from each other. What do these terms mean?

• looter
    looter

"What is the essence of who we are as a person?" The true essence of who we are is our unique ability to be sensible and solve problems. Two people who have carbon copy beliefs can see things in a completely different way. But, if their beliefs lead to virtue, goodness, and peace then I find that astonishing since we as human beings have struggled with this since beginning times. I'm just putting in to context how that specific ability of ours is like a God in that it can help us to become the best person we can be.

• cofty
    cofty
    Some disbelievers are just too rational that they lose or never even had feelings for their common man

Utter bollocks.

Who is this strawman exactly?

Compassion is entirely rational. There are so many canards about atheism in your posts it almost reads like satire.

• looter
    looter

You might have misunderstood. I meant those people can be insanely rational but have no compassion. Which is bad. In the same way a believer can be depleted of it, too.

• cofty
    cofty
    I meant those people can be insanely rational but have no compassion

What pople? Another straw-man that has absolutely nothing to do with your OP.

I am trying hard to understand what your point actually is but everytime I address it your change it.

Do you have any idea what your point is exactly?

If so please express it succinctly in as few simple words as possible.

• looter
    looter

I've mentioned my point before and I'm not too interested in repeating it so that last paraphrase is enough. If you can't understand then fine. All I will say is that a lot of you guys have misunderstood my original post which makes for confounding off-topic conversation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit