Exposing "BottleGate" could suppress donations Limiting the $ resources that can be used to spread this hateful Cult

by Not_Culty 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Not_Culty
    Not_Culty

Exposing "BottleGate" could suppress donations Limiting the $ resources that can be used to spread this hateful Cult

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I hope so.

How many JW's are working low paying jobs, just so they can drop their meager wages in WT's donation box? How many will get pissed that old Tony is buying top shelf booze? Most will not even hear about it but how many are on the edge of leaving this corrupt/abusive cult.

• Not_Culty
    Not_Culty

The Elders , Co and even once the DO pestered me for large donations many many times.

I could have used this excuse back then.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think this is the issue about TPT's purchasing the booze.

NOTHING WRONG with having a drink or even a well stocked liquor cabinet.

But the TOP SHELF/HIGH STYLE booze he drinks is really indicative of someone who is very "well off" (which supposedly he is NOT) and someone that has a really HIGH OPINION of themselves (read: egomaniac).

IT'S OBVIOUS THAT HE PERSONALLY FEELS THAT HE DESERVES THIS.

It doesn't make a difference if this is not "dedicated funds" from donations (and I sure as hell hope it is NOT.) Even if it's from "green handshakes" or family wealth, it indicative that he's not satisfied with a modestly priced scotch. In his mind, he deserves better. Glenlivet and Glenfiddich (12 year) are both single malt and under $40 (here). $40 for a single bottle of booze is probably pretty damn expensive for a lot of JWs, not to speak of TPT blowing $60+ or $80+ for a bottle -- and $900 for a one time shopping spree.

Sophia!!!! Go buy an ice cream cone, honey!!!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Your cant possibly think that indoctrinate clueless people will be moved by a video of a GB member buying some liquor. This issue can have a thousand excuses. Here let's pretend I'm a deluded JW confronted with this:

- "So what if he is buy several bottles of liquor? He is probably buying them for a gathering with the brothers"

- "So what if he is buy several bottles of liquor?He probably buys in bulk to get a good price and this lasts him for several years"

- "Of course he is buying the expensive whiskey. I would not buy the cheap crap either"

- "How do you know he is using donation money? Could be from his own assets"

-"GB members have the right to have a few drinks too, just like everybody else"

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    "So what if he is buy several bottles of liquor? He is probably buying them for a gathering with the brothers"

I have never seen such a gathering.. normally, they stop at beer and win. Hard liquor is generally for friends, not parties.

"So what if he is buy several bottles of liquor?He probably buys in bulk to get a good price and this lasts him for several years"

Valid

"Of course he is buying the expensive whiskey. I would not buy the cheap crap either"

Valid. I might add: The price for the bottles are not outrageous. Its easy to go into the 100-300 dollar range with such bottles.

"How do you know he is using donation money? Could be from his own assets"

Valid, however, that brings up the question: How did he get such assets? He has been working full time for the organization for so long, how can he have so much assets?

"GB members have the right to have a few drinks too, just like everybody else"

Valid.

Here is some more JW arguments:

1) Perhaps the bottles were meant to serve as gifts to bethelites as a work/performance rewards.

2) Cadillac are not as expensive as they used to be. Its not like he got a pope mobile.

3) Perhaps he will attend a meeting in the afternoon. Going out in service on Sunday has never been mandatory.

4) He was alone, probably the only times the guy actually catches a break.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

I suspect hardly any of the rank and file will ever see it and if they do, they won't believe it. Remember Jeffery Jackson at the ARC? How many said it was an 'impersonator'

Also, watching Watchtower in Focus with Lloyd discussing this, didn't the WT say to the person who brought it up with them that we must look for the good in our brothers.

Also, I'd like to know, are the GB exempt from the vow of poverty and the rule that anyone entering bethel has to give them any money they have?

It's totally hypocritical to tell a child to give their ice cream money to the organization while splashing out on booze, wherever the money came from.

Don't forget, this is one of the men that allows children to continue to be abused, that condones destroying families, that allows people to die when blood might save them and that told the brothers that if you haven't been in the ministry you have blood on your hands and deserve to die.

I'm not cutting him any slack at all. I don't care if he needs to catch a break, don't we all? I can barely afford to feed myself let alone buy a bottle of alcohol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit