My parents haven't been to a meeting for a year now....

by purrpurr 4 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Now don't get me wrong, they still consider themselves jw's. But they seem to be plagued with ill health... Especially on meeting days? They are very depressed about it of course and moan about how much they would like to be at the hall. Yet strangely enough they are perfectly well for non JW things that they want to do? But I safely predict that as the time for the meeting rolls round a cold, a bug or just exhaustion will start up and oh dear! They just aren't up to going tonight! What a shame!

So they listen in instead, although there's been several occasions when they have completely forgotten that it's the meeting night and they have carried on watching TV etc. ( of course I don't remind them either)

As for the congregation itself, well I think they have written my parents off. No one contacts them these days, there's the odd " hello miss you" message on Facebook but that's it. The elders don't call or visit and in fact the last time my parents did go to the hall they where taken aside by the elders and roundly told off for having not been for so long. Both my parents came home very discouraged and haven't gone since.

I'm not getting me hopes up though, they are still firmly brain washed and loving it. But just having them semi unplugged is enough for now. I suspect that illness that plagues them is phycological although I doubt they are aware of it. What do you think?

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    I would just encourage them when they make any effort to do 'real' activities outside the KH. If you are able, perhaps take them out for a meal once in a while or even just coffee. Depending on where you live, there might be lots of diversions they would enjoy that don't cost much. It is hard to admit you made a mistake, so they probably are experiencing a bit of CD.
  • purrpurr
    purrpurr

Fadetoblack, they do go out alot and even work. Recreation wise they are very active yet somehow ... Somehow always too I'll to attend the meetings?

I don't believe this is a conscious decision to avoid the meetings, I don't think they are even aware that they are trying to avoid going. And they do seem to really get ill on meeting days?

I'm wondering if it's their subconscious making them ill so that they don't have to go? Has anyone else encountered this?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am sure it's mostly subconscious. They don't enjoy the meetings but think they should go, but as it gets closer to time for the meeting they just automatically start focusing more on their aches and pains until they really do feel sick. They aren't faking exactly, just being human.

It doesn't help that when they do go they get talked to like they have done something wrong. Don't the elders realise that they are just making the situation worse? It makes me think of this scripture:

Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.

It doesn't say anything about giving the sick one a beat down for missing the meetings.

• Skedaddle
    Skedaddle

Just my opinion...

Yes, it can be their subconscious mind. The subconscious mind does amazing things when you don't listen to what it wants. Their subconscious knows it's not the truth and is fighting against the mind-control that's manipulating the mind... but JW's keep themselves in denial within the mind by telling their subconscious to shut-up, it's the truth. So the subconscious eventually over-rides this battle that's causing the mind harm by causing mystery illnesses to stop you from doing what's harming you, physically. The subconscious is what the GB labels as ''satan attacking you'' and tells you to ignore it by doing more. Bastards! Is it any wonder the dubs are popping pills to cope!

This happened to me years ago at work - the on-site doctor knew straight away what was going on. I had no clue. My subconscious took my voice away, everyday at worktime so that I couldn't physically do my job which was dealing with clients problems on the phone. No voice, no taking on problems. Now lets deal with why your subconscious is stopping you from doing your job she said. Tell me about your past she said. Flood gates opened, nervous break-down ensued. I was shocked.

This is what happens when we don't listen to what our body/gut instinct/subconscious mind, is telling us is right and wrong for us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit