WTBTS – assistance following an incident at bethel

by Tallon 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Tallon
    Tallon

I haven’t posted for quite a while as I needed a break – although I have been lurking.

Can anyone confirm if the WTBTS give assistance to someone who has been involved in an incident whilst working at bethel and, as a result, must leave?

The reason I’m asking is that, back in the 80’s, I knew a sister who was in bethel service. She was assigned to the cleaning department. Because of working with cleaning chemicals, she contracted a severe form of eczema. She left bethel service because of this. It was so bad and painful that she literally couldn’t wear certain clothing and, at night, could only sleep with a sheet to cover her.

I stand under correction, and to my knowledge, the WTBTS offered no after care assistance to her once she left bethel service.

Is this the WTBTS policy? If someone is required to leave bethel service due to injury following an incident at work that they are on their own with regard to medical care and expenses incurred?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I would imagine so. I'm sure there is some sort of waiver they force you to sign. In the end, Bethelites are voluntary slaves.

• Hecce
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Hey there, Tallon:

Welcome back! As soon as I read this, the name "Brenda Upton" came to mind.

A 46-year-old woman who devoted her life to the Jehovah's Witnesses said she was forced to move from their Brooklyn compound after she was seriously injured while serving the church.

But a judge's ruling this week that she is entitled to worker's compensation payments could end up costing the church millions of dollars.

Brenda Upton and her husband, Michael, took a vow of poverty and moved to the Witnesses' Brooklyn headquarters in 1998 to work as chiropractors for other church members.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/175375/bethelites-entitled-compensation

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I would venture to suggest that irrespective of whether any prior relationship exists between an injured person and the owner of a company or property, liability for a person's safety/injury will always be applicable.

Sad fact is that many J.W.'s would never dream of suing the org - regardless of the consequences of the injury.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

I remember going on a Bethel tour. The brother (young guy, mid to late 20s or so) was our guide. Something I noticed was off about the situation: His left arm was in a sling and his right hand was bandaged. One of my very curious cousins asked him what happened to him. His answer: "I was very clumsy and fell into one of the machines (bindery or printer--I can't recall). But it's not too bad. I still have to fulfill my assignments. Thanks to Jehovah it wasn't worse than this!". Hmmmmm. . . . . .

Also, a Bethelite who was close to my exfiance's family married a sister; and they were accepted at Brooklyn Bethel. One really/very off (as in strange off): She was an amputee--no lie! Sister was missing a few fingers and a thumb ==> two fingers and the thumb on her right hand, plus another two fingers and half of a thumb on her left! We (my family members plus friends of mine and my exs) after meeting her were very shocked. She was doing work at WHQ, regardless of her condition/status. Moreover, didn't WT state in their Bethel applications that "all applicants should be of sound mind and body" and "physically fit to accomplish any tasks put before them"? Hmmm. . . . . . .

And the GB has the utter nerve/gall to constantly counsel the R&F about the quality of their service which would be not acceptable to Jehovah ("no sacrifices resembling lame, blind, or sick animal offerings). Hmmmm. . . . . . .

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Is this the WTBTS policy?

Yes the WTS may assistance in health costs when the person is there but if its realized that this person has a on going medical condition they are sent home and no other financial assistance is given.

Of course these situations vary from what health problem has occurred, if a person is suffering from some health condition from working at Bethel but no one else has the condition, you can be expected to be shown the exit door.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Is this the WTBTS policy? If someone is required to leave bethel service due to injury following an incident at work that they are on their own with regard to medical care and expenses incurred?

The biggest lie that the WT perpetuates among their crop is that they are not part of the world. If people get injured in the job, regardless of it being volunteer work or for-pay, they are not above the law just because they say so. Sue their asses.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Sorry to correct you scratchme - the RNWT now says "donkeys."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The only people who dont have to worry about getting the boot from Bethel for having a health condition and loosing out in health costs, are the GB men and their wives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit