Missing girl's body found.

by ignored_one 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Don't know if this has been posted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3275065.stm BBC NEWS Murder police find Alicia's body Police have found the body of missing Devon teenager Alicia Eborne.

The discovery was made by search experts on a thickly wooded slope near Denham Bridge at Buckland Monachorum on Dartmoor.

The 18-year-old disappeared after leaving her home in the hamlet of Corntown, near Plymouth, nine days ago.

A 39-year-old man from Plymouth, who is believed to be a bus driver, is being held by police on suspicion of her murder.

Hazardous work

He was arrested on Thursday evening and Devon and Cornwall Police have until 2230 GMT on Sunday to question him. He is not being named.

Alicia's body later found about 14 miles from her home.

Force search adviser, Sergeant Mike Rose, said it was discovered just off a public road near the River Tavy.

"We came here very early this morning as a result of information received and we found the body this morning.

"It is on a very steep wooded area of very rough terrain with loose rocks.

"It makes it potentially hazardous to work in, which is why we have asked for safety advice from the Devon Cave Rescue Organisation."

He said attempts had been made to conceal the body.

Police have not yet confirmed whether the teenager was killed at the site where her body was found.

Sergeant Rose said experts were examining the scene, while further searches were still being carried out in the Bickleigh area about seven miles away.

The family are devastated by such dreadful news
    Chief Superintendent Liam McGrath Police said Alicia's family had been informed and were "devastated" by the news.

Detective Chief Superintendent Jim Webster, head of Devon and Cornwall Police CID, said: "At this time our thoughts are with Alicia's family and friends.

"We would like to express our deep sympathy for her family and to state the distress and concern this has caused to all those who have been hunting for Alicia in the hope she would be found well.

"This place is a crime scene but it is a place of great sadness today.

Support for family

"We would like to pay our respects to the memory of Alicia."

Alicia was last seen by her mother when she left home at about 0845 GMT on Friday, 7 November to catch the bus into Plymouth.

It was believed she walked the half mile from Corntown to nearby Cornwood to catch the Plymouth-bound bus.

Chief Superintendent Liam McGrath told a new conference on Sunday morning officers were treating the case as murder.

"The family are devastated by such dreadful news and we are doing our best to make sure that the necessary support structures are in place to assist them," he said.

Corntown resident Dr Jill Spencer said the latest news confirmed what everyone had most feared.

"It almost had that inevitability. Although I can't really begin to imagine what the family are feeling and what they are going through.

"I have got a daughter who was brought up here. You can't help trying to imagine what it must be like for them," she said.

Dr Spencer, 61, said the people of Corntown, a hamlet of just 14 dwellings, would do their best to support the family.

"I am sure everybody will do everything they can and maybe try and help in practical ways."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/devon/3275065.stm

Published: 2003/11/16 16:07:01 GMT

© BBC MMIII - Ignored One.
  • Mulan
    Mulan

how horrible

• sens
    sens

Tragic

• dmouse
    dmouse

Oh no.

• ChimChim
    ChimChim

Thats horrible

-¤-*C.C*-¤-

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Call me slow , but I have only just discovered that this girl came from "A family of Jehovahs Witnesses". The story has a lot of coverage in the UK

Utter tragedy....My heart goes out to her parents

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Oh, how awful. Losing a child is the worst.

Kat

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

This is just terrible. I sure hope that they have caught the killer.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Sadness...

Is there anybody close to there who can convey our sympathies?

CZAR

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

This is awful news. My cousins who live in Cornwood just half a mile from where Alicia lives, were friendly with her, and said what a lovely girl she was. My heart goes out to her family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit