I think Watchtower online library filters results it does not like.

by NikL 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NikL
    NikL
    I was trying to find that scripture that talks about recognizing a false prophet.
    In the Watchtower online website, I did a search for the words false prophet and filtered it for scriptures only from the Bible which brought up zilch in the way of results.
    I did a Google advanced search for the same thing and it brought up the scripture I needed which happens to be Deuteronomy chapter 18:20-22 which reads...
    20 “‘If any prophet presumptuously speaks a word in my name that I did not command him to speak or speaks in the name of other gods,
    that prophet must die.+
    21 However, you may say in your heart: “How will we know that Jehovah has not spoken the word?”
    22 When the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word is not fulfilled or does not come true, then Jehovah did not speak that word.
    The prophet spoke it presumptuously. You should not fear him.’

I guess my point being that they do post all kinds of incriminating things on their website but they don't make it very easy for you to find.
    From now on Google is going to be my go-to to search their website.
  • Alive!
    Alive!

That scripture must give them grief, it really points the finger and requires a lot of explaining to dodge the implication.

• schnell
    schnell

Oh that's interesting. Yep, I get the same results as you. It brings up Revelation's use of "false prophet" but not Deuteronomy's. That is indirectly shown in an Insight article on the book of Deuteronomy.

That's pretty crafty, JW.org. It doesn't look good for you, but it's crafty.

Just for posterity in case anyone is still unaware, you can type "site:jw.org" or "site:wol.jw.org" on Google and search for terms on those specific sites.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I believe that the WOL search box does a 'key word' search and only a 'word' search

the scripture you point out does not actually included the word 'false' - can't find something that isn't included

But, it was a bit silly for you to filter your search for scrptures only

if you hadn't, the scripture you wanted would have been the first result

Unfortunately the WT WOL doesn't have a filter for 'silliness'

Google doesn't only do a 'key word' search, it uses a 'search algorithm', including using the words that are used in links to the webpage it thinks you would be interested in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_algorithm

At it most 'newsworthiness' it means that Google Bombs can be made

that's when you do a search on Google for something like 'miserable failure' - and hey presto! - the first result is to George W. Bush's White House biography - of course that page doesn't actually include those words (that google bomb doesn't work now - see below)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_Google_bombs_in_the_2004_U.S._Presidential_election

• blondie
    blondie

The old CD hid a few things, it was hard to find the 1976 comment about 1975.

• schnell
    schnell

@darkspilver, you are correct and I stand corrected as well.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Ah yes, but they fall back on the old chesnut "We NEVER said we were prophets"

(Of course, we know though that they say we are "gods channel on earth today"...and that naturally means the same thing)

• NikL
    NikL

Yeah I guess that WAS stupid of me darkspilver. Thanks for being polite and just calling me "silly".

I should have figured that out for myself.

Seriously, if Google is so much more intuitive than their own search it's still the way to go.

Weird thing though, I just did the same search again and got totally different results.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Nikl - "I think Watchtower online library filters results it does not like."

Ha!

In other breaking news, water is wet.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    darkspilver - "...Unfortunately the WT OL doesn't have a filter for 'silliness'..."

They don't dare.

They'd be left with, like, three or four pages at most. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit