Naked JW's day in court

by Moster 24 Replies latest jw friends

• tiki
    tiki

Let's hope it was weird tea...otherwise these people have some real need of psych therapy....that is not rational behavior.

• StarryNight9
    StarryNight9
    If it was one person, I'd be thinking it was mental illness. A whole family is really weird... even if they somehow got into a religious frenzy.
  • cofty
    cofty

I think this is fascinating. I doubt if there is any more to it than religiously inspired fear and panic.

We have all heard about 'demonic' panic from other JWs. This one went viral and meshed with the GBs more recent panic-mongering about 'men in black' coming for them all.

They are reaping what they have sown.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Wow... thats quite some happening. I can actually imagine how it escelated in thier minds before it happened.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    If it was one person, I'd be thinking it was mental illness. A whole family is really weird...

Possibly, Folie à deux (Madness of two), but variations can affect more than two including whole families.

Wiki Link - Folie à deux

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    StarryNight: A whole family is really weird... even if they somehow got into a religious frenzy.

Actually, I think that a family is more prone to this kind of behavior just because of how family dynamics work. A family, after all, is a micro cult - a JW family is a cult within a cult.

Shared delusions become amplified in isolation (this family spent three days in isolation - watching movies which were likely JW videos - not eating...) and...boom. the "campfire ghost stories" aka "borg bunker stories" became their reality. They acted on their reality - their true belief in what their religion has taught as the "truth".

I am with Cofty on this - I find it fascinating.

And I also suspect that this event makes lots of people a little uncomfortable and left asking themselves if they may have acted similarly at one time during their true belief stage.

What would it take to tip over into irrational behaviour based on irrational beliefs?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Thanks for the link, Incognito.

From a reference on that page, another story about an Australian family that succumbed to shared delusions:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37293494

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Bizarre. I still don't get why they were naked. Half-dressed maybe but naked???

There has got to be way more to this story than is said in the article to be sure to be sure.

• Moster
    Moster

sparrowdown - my thoughts exactly.

Naked - hmm

Extreme strength - hmmm

Slithering under a car, naked, laying in the snow, having to drag them out with a strap - hmmmm

The adults being pepper sprayed and tasered more than once to subdue them - hmmmmm

Sounds like drugs to me. Are they trying to hide this from the congregation? What is the game here? Did one of the group knowingly slip them all something and now doesn't want to fess up?

Shared psychosis perhaps, but the other bits don't really fit I don't think. Interesting for sure.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yep, off their faces lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit