My Reverse-Shunning Letter To My Mother

by pale.emperor 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Hi pale emporer

Your letter comes from the heart. It is really sad to think your own mother/family have nothing to do with you simply because you don't wish to be a JW. The unchristian shunning policy and other practices of the WTB&T£ is the very reason why so many are put off religion.

I would probably feel the exact same if I had been brought up and brainwashed by the society. I was practically atheist in my ways having been brought up Catholic and had all but given up on religion. The JWs helped me renew my faith in God (so I thought). That was short lived once I had woken up. Took me about 10 years and a bad experience of depression (due to this high control religion).

It was interesting you mentioned the support group you attend. How did you find such a support group? I tried to find one in my own city, but couldn't find one. It would be great to find a group to share experiences. This forum and a friend (fader) are the only places I can share my views/experiences at the moment.

All the best

UTC

• dbq407
    dbq407

Great letter, and i think she will read it all the way thru in the privacy of her home. She will feel bad for doing so, but curiosity will get the best of her no doubt.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"I’m so much happier now, I have Erin and I have freedom. And there’s no reason in the world why I would ever have to shun her. And even if there was I still wouldn’t. You see, I love Erin. More than the idea of living forever, more than god (even if he did exist). I would happily die in Armageddon just to see her. That, to me, I real love and I do love her and she knows. Why would I want to live forever without her?"

This strongly emphasises what is wrong with the witnesses. They have been brainwashed to such an extent that they can no longer love. I'm sure they would disagree, but when met with the logic of the above statement it should be obvious, even to them, that something had gone very wrong in their heads.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Great letter. I was just thinking about this last night and fantasizing what it would be like to write my family members a letter but with a little different slant. I would like to shun them until they come out of "Babylon the Great", lol.

Every family has their own dynamic features, I personally would be available to any of my family members that started to wake up. I sort of shunned my "apostate brother" for years but when I started having doubts he was the only one I could talk to, which really helped. Now we have a great relationship!

So glad you are doing well. It's a process to recover but worth it.

• jambon1
    jambon1

I'm quite emotional over stuff like this anyway but I can feel a lot of pain in that letter. I cant endorse reverse shunning enough as I feel that it's effective, cathartic but most of all the right moral thing to do.

Your letter was overall lovely. An appeal. A plea. But a definate line drawn in the sand of what you expect in human relationships. Well done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit