Odd choice of words

by Nevuela 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Why is it that when a JW gives someone a magazine, they use the word "place" instead of "give"? As in "I placed a magazine with him". And why do regular door-to-door JWs of no special rank refer to themselves as publishers? Spreading literature around is not the same as publishing it.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

It could all a subtle form of brainwashing. If not, then it's probably just organizational jargon. I don't think too many jw's give it much thought.

• freddo
    freddo

I've never thought of that Neveula - but I wonder if it goes back to when we asked for money (invited the householder to take them on a contribution of 20 cents/1 shilling/20 pence the pair) from people.

To go back and boast that you'd "placed" 6 magazines sounded so much better (more righteous) than that you'd sold 6 magazines for the non-profit charity that is the Watchtower.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

We asked for a contribution for the mags, which made us think the org. was making a loss, which was a lie.That's why they emphasised place not sell. Now I think they have to do it to continue as a tax exempt non-profit.

Why were we called publishers? We were supposed to be publishing the good news, whatever that ridiculous phrase means, but how appropriate for members of a publishing company.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

According to many researchers, the use of "special terms" or "distinct words" is a key indication of a cult like group.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Placed" sounds better than "sold".

"Publishers" sounds better than "salesmen".

• baker
    baker

Rutherford purposely tried to remove from his literature any words that might be used in any other religions, and replace them with words that are unique, so it makes the cult members feel superior. Like Kingdom Hall used to replace Church. and Going to the "meeting", whereas other groups say, were going to church, or mass. Notice when outsiders say "what is your Church like", the average JW will grizzle inside, and proudly say "we call it a Kingdom Hall" in a smug manner.

• hoser
    hoser

The reason Jws use terms like householder, placed,publisher and many more is because that is the language used in the late 19th century when the religion was founded.

• blondie
    blondie

Definition: Place in the marketing mix refers to the channel, or the route, through which goods move from the source to the final user. Place could be the intermediaries, distributors, wholesalers and retailers.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

why do regular door-to-door JWs of no special rank refer to themselves as publishers? - give 'em a break. They aren't elders, Ministerial Servants, graduates of Gilead or pioneers.

They need a word to make themselves feel special, or at least not to feel the WT slaves that they are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit