Corporate Virtue Signalling At Your Expense

by Simon 27 Replies latest social current

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I just say not today and move on. Not really concerned with what a random stranger thinks about me. It's not an efficient way to support whatever charity you like but I'd imagine the charities still benefit. I'm sure the stores get something out of it or they wouldn't do it

• LV101
    LV101

Good point re/JWs not donating but I never followed their rules even attending charitable events -- actually probably makes JWs go overboard donating once they've escaped WT. Extra money to help in a real way.

• Simon
    Simon
    I'm sure the stores get something out of it or they wouldn't do it

They get to self-promote as though *they* gave the money. That's why they do it. The irony is they are often promoting themselves to the people who gave the money.

Some are more honest that it's "our customers donated $x to ..." but often it's "[whatever corporation] raised $x for ..."

BTW: I'm not talking about being rude. As a general principle I don't believe in being a jerk to the person behind the counter (even if there's something to complain about, you want them on your side). Whatever I say, I say with a smile.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SIMON:

I just had this very conversation with my friend recently. I consider it endless panhandling.

Too many stores are asking you at the checkout if you want to donate to whatever or round out your change, etc....I might have said yes around the holidays but now it’s a firm No.

For one thing, how much does the so-called charity actually get. Also, the stores may get used to the idea of the extra money and may jack up their prices if they see so many people agreeing to part with the extra cash!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I am also annoyed at it. Like you said, they put you on the spot, making it look like if you don't donate, you don't care about whatever cause they are collecting for.

I actually never though of this before, but yes, that is true, in reality they are making you pay for their own image as a socially responsible company.

I often give in to this, but effective immediately I will begin to refuse all them. I will simply say ..." no thanks, I can give directly to them myself".

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I am a bit annoyed at the culture of “corporate social responsibility.” You know, they have to “give back” to the community - as if they are just a bunch of takers.

If a company is making a profit, it is already giving back by its very operation. The profits made are a signal that they are using resources in a beneficial way. People are voluntarily reaching into their pockets and giving them money in exchange for whatever they are producing. It means that they are either moving lower order goods to higher order goods, or the company is providing a service that people find helpful enough that they would support it.

If a company wants to support a charity or cause with its money, that is great. Glad for it. But the idea if a company does not find a pet cause to champion, it makes them socially evil just chaps my ass a bit.

Of course this is different than the situation Simon describes. I agree on that count as well.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, the virtue signalling when companies promote or celebrate some 'day' is different but equally annoying. I support gay marriage being legal, but I think reading that some mega corporation 'supports pride day' is just stupid and unnecessary.

This stuff starts bleeding over into other things too - local governments for instance start feeling the need to virtue signal by painting rainbow colored pedestrian crossings which is simply stupid: it's a waste of money that aggravates those who may not support it and object to their tax dollars being spent that way or will argue that their cause should get equal billing and promotion. It's also distracting from the purpose and design of the crossing and what councils should be spending their time and focus on.

• steve2
    steve2

"Sorry" used to be the hardest word to say; now it's the phrase, "No thank you" when asked by sales staff if you want to add a $2 donation to your bill.

I do feel some sympathy for sales staff who are monitored by management to make the request of all customers. Some firms even display on staff areas donation results for named sales staff. Who got the most donations this week?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit