Any motorcycle sales rep out there?

by RavenPearl 14 Replies latest jw friends

• RavenPearl
    RavenPearl
    heres hoping. I have a 2005 Yamaha r6, with extras. I am looking to purchase a 2008 (design is beautiful and low miles compared to mine.) I have been ripped off from auto dealerships in the past and I'm tired of not getting exactly what I want. I'm looking at a bike listed price of around $6,200. I know the kelly blue book is approx $5,130 on the model of 08. My bikes kelly blue book is around $4100. I just want to have a phone conversation or text or email or any form of communication to discuss the tricks of the trades etc... I really want someone that is a motorcycle sales rep specifically...would really appreciate you to say that so I can accept good advice from others but really focus on your advice and study it.
    When I go to a bank, and speak their language...they can't screw me, or a doctor etc.. or other likewise profession. I have over paid out of necessity and for the first time I don't really NEED this bike. I just WANT this bike as a redemption of purchasing my current bike 2 years ago. I'm asking for one biker to another.
    I don't know all the specific terminology, for example let's say your a nurse and a doctor tries to tell you to take priloec or something and you go to pharmacy that wants to charge 30 bucks when you can buy omeperzole for 5 bucks at walmart, it's the exact same medication. Or a nurse tells u she can't call the doctor on a pt inr casue its late and you call their bluff and say "so you can't call the on-call that each doctor has and increase or decrease the comadin etc..."
    I don't know the paperwork, the sales wiggle room, specific criteria quota or whatever...etc...on selling a motorcycle.
    I wish I could offer you something, but I can't because every John jane doe would give their two cents for a piece of the reward I may offer and they don't even know the lingo or work at a shop. No offense to anyone. Obviously I won't die if I don't get this. I hope that the only thing I have to offer is an appeal to one man who has been ripped off before to another who possible knows what that feels like (or women). That is all I ask perhaps 10 to 15 mind of ur time. I understand that you have a life, and I do not wish to be a burden in anyway. Thank you for your time, efforts, and consideration. Ps I just want to catch them off guard and when they lie or BS be able to say something back and know they can still sell me the bike.
  • Simon
    Simon

A confrontational "gotcha" approach is less likely to yield a good deal IMO.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't be informed - you should know what a good deal for you is and be prepared to walk away if you can't achieve that. At the same time it needs to be realistic based on market conditions etc...

Also, cars are better than bikes :D

• RavenPearl
    RavenPearl

Lol true. I guess I'm just wanting to talk in a way where I can use his own job description to get a good deal. Where let's say he wants to sell and I KNOW for a fact he can sell at a certain price...without making him laugh at my offers. And if he does laugh, be able to use jargon to kinda bring reality in place as oppose to believing everything he says. Ya know? Know Both our limits and hands

Cars are great crotch rockets are my second wife.

• Simon
    Simon
    So you want to know the dealer invoice price and negotiate up from that (not down from the sticker price).
  • elderINewton
    elderINewton
    I ride a R6 2012. That's way too much $$ if your in the USA. It would have to have 1000 miles on it.
    Else my last trade i said you be fair you get my money. That was it, plus it is way easier to do this at seasons end rather than now.
  • RavenPearl
    RavenPearl

Simon- I want to trade my bike is to cut off as much as possible. Naively I would like to get 4k bluebook value and give 1200.00 off the lot which would get me theoretically at their 6200 price and finance only 1000, but I know that's just wish full thinking. Then again what he is offering is around 5k bluebook.

Elder- fellow r6 -er!! Would you clarify which bike your referring to as far as being too much and yes I am in the usa. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay, what were they asking and how much were you able to get for your trade in? You can pm me if you don't want it on the board

• RavenPearl
    RavenPearl

Here's an exact replica of my bike 2005, since i dont' have any cell pix. (new cell phone, cracked screen on old one) She's a sexy B!tch. All the same art, exhaust, paint body style etc..

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg231/mxy2004/P5060034.jpg

• Caliban
    Caliban

The book price is normally the price you expect something to sell for. It's unrealistic to expect a garage to pay you that for a vehicle as they need to make "something" when they resell it and to compensate for the risk.

Another alternative is to sell it as a private sale first and then put that money toward any new ride.

• RavenPearl
    RavenPearl
    Caliban, I am a little hesitant on selling this bike privately. A garage/dealer would be able to fix any flaws and resell it and make a profit, where as I don't want it to be given to someone and it it breaks down on them. It's currently getting a new regulator put in. I don't have a lot of money to put down for the new bike so that's why an 08 sounds somewhat affordable with my bike as a trade in. I am having a diagnostic eval on my bike on wed/tuesday from another nurse from work, who works on bikes...so maybe we can find if anything is wrong with it and resell it privately and use it as down payment. This has occurred to me, and I definately want to purchase from a dealership and not privately owned r6 for sale.
  • freddo
    freddo

Hi RavenPearl

I believe you're over thinking this. Dealers are there to make money. You're there to get the best deal you can.

If you are emotionally attached to a particular bike then you will pay more. Salespeople (in whatever field) are trained to press those buttons.

I bought a brand new Honda in the UK for my wife and got 12.5% off of list price and a set of waterproofs thrown in the deal. If I had gone to a discount dealer I might have got 20% off. But I wanted it to be local so she could ride in and get a bit of TLC when the bike needed servicing during its warranty.

My own bike I bought secondhand and privately because I was able to do basic servicing and there was no warranty aftercare involved.

Your "blue book" in the USA is probably about right give or take up or down for mileage accessories - we have similar in the UK - that I suggest is where you want to be.

Make an offer and walk away. You can always swallow your pride and go back the next week because it will still be there if it's overpriced! If you are close to the salespersons minimum deal he will come after you with a better offer.

Ticket price: £6000

Salesman "£5000 - it's my very best super duper price, my boss will kill me!"

You: "I really want it but I've only got £4,000."

Salesman "Sorry can't do it."

You: "I'll go a way and think about it." (SALESPEOPLE HATE THIS!)

S. "Meet me half way then ..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit