Does the average witness still believe in Armageddon?

by czarofmischief 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I havent' been to Kingdom Hall in over a year, and I haven't talked to any dubs other than my parents for three years now. I was wondering if anybody still had any contacts in the truth and how the average dub is feeling about the immediacy of Armageddon?

I remember growing up that this was an omnipresent motivation, especially when the whole "peace and security" thing happened in the early nineties, and we were expecting "sudden destruction" after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

But safe to say, I'm not worried about Armageddon anymore - and I was wondering what the feeling was in the congregations...

CZAR

• Valis
    Valis

What else do they have to look forward to?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Badger
    Badger

My stepmom goes on and on about "this old system" when we talk and how "we're so close." haven't bounced the whole 2034 date off her yet, but it doens't have much impact...she and dad joined in the early '80's

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Jeez, they joined while I was on my way out.

My sis and bro-in-law are building a house. So they can't be that worried. Mom's probably depressed about it not being here yet.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I went to the Sunday WT/PT a last month. Of course they still believe the same, some crusty old dates by people on this forum about "2034" doesn't change the fact that its near to them. Or me come to think about it. Silly question.

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

They think it is near, especially since the terrorist attack of september 2001 because they argue that in the past, we wanted peace but now, we also want security from all the bad terrorist in the world.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Seventeen years ago people said, concerning the time features presented in MILLENNIAL DAWN, They seem reasonable in many respects, but surely no such radical changes could occur between now and the close of 1914: if you had proved that they would come about in a century or two, it would seem much more probable.

What changes have since occurred, and what velocity is gained daily! "The old is quickly passing, and the new is coming in."

Now, in view of recent labor troubles and threatened anarchy, our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They say that they do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain.

Zion's Watch Tower, 15 July 1894, p. 226

My father said something very similar to this a few days ago. Despite being a Witless through the failed 1941&75 prophesies, he is still convinced that Armageddon is just around the corner.

• gumby
    gumby

One thing is intresting about this.

All it took from the society, was to promote the idea that it is a 'time period" in which armageddon will come, and not a date............that changed the way dubs think. Now they invest, go to college, plan for the future, unlike before. If people think that aramageddon may be "off" a little further than they thought........that seems to be all it takes. Do they REALLY want it to come?

Gumby

• Gopher
    Gopher

Gumby,

Some JW's want it (Armageddon) worse than others. If you're older and have been waiting around for the end for 5 decades like my parents and grandparents, they want Armageddon yesterday already! But I suspect that the younger ones have less urgency about it.

My dad (a JW elder) just reminded my sister that she better think about getting back in the organization, because the end is near.

• link
    link

Most of my immediate family have been "in" thirty to fourty years or more and they all tell me the same thing. Armageddon is irrelevent and unimportant, and always has been. The real issue is to serve Jehovah in a way that is pleasing to Him!

Hope you all agree???

link

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit