Getting Fed at Assemblies and Camping Around the Stadium

by mikronboy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• mikronboy
    mikronboy

This was the 1963 assembly at Twickenham. I recall the WT deciding no more camping after this due to "immorality" having taken place.

https://youtu.be/lHCl-13dYNE

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I bet I was there! I can remember more than one large convention at the old Twickenham before it was rebuilt. Yes we had the large food catering with dinners on trays . It was fun ,as I recall.

I thought they had camping some time after that . I definitely slept in a large tent with a lot of others actually in the grounds of the stadium. I heard of off site camping from others later on too.

Happy days , when conventions were fun!

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

Fascinating footage.

If they were still alive now, I wonder what the older attendees in that footage (including bros from the convention committee, etc) would make of the TV evangelist, Christianity-lite, e-publisher JWs and their rock star GB of today?

As someone once said: "If they were alive today, they'd turn in their graves!"

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

I slept in one of the large marqees for all 8 days - in Caleb Avenue.

The metal-legged camp-beds were terrible - kept falling apart if you moved too much.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"for all 8 days"

"slept in a large tent with a lot of others actually in the grounds of the stadium."

"Happy days , when conventions were fun!"

Holy Hell. It sounds like something out of a nightmare.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Yes I was there. I worked all day as a volunteer then went back to the camp site and did guard patrol. My wife was also there but we didn't know each other then, she stayed in the marquee on site.

Eight days! It's a struggle to cope with just three short days now. Sessions used to finish late in the evening, struggling to read your song book.

George

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i camped at Twickers--63 maybe. Rows of tents--males and females segregated. The tent i slept in had a large bale of straw for a bed.

At a previous twickers mum and i plus another mum and kid slept at a house obtained through jw volunteers canvassing the streets looking for houses with rooms to rent.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

It's sad how the Watchtower Society has treated their faithful members since it's founding in the late 1880's!

Here we have the 1963 Twickeham Assembly, where 30 thousand members suffer 8 full days of hot sun, lunch served military style, sleeping in tents, bathing, cleaning and bathroom breaks ( who knows where ), mothers contending with nursing, feeding and changing little babies, no air-conditioning, long wait times to enter and leave the grounds...

What have we ( all who have slaved for the Society) gotten in return? Lies, pedophile lawsuits, downsizing and selling of Kingdom Halls and broken promises!

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

30 thousand members suffer 8 full days of hot sun, lunch served military style, sleeping in tents, bathing, cleaning and bathroom breaks ( who knows where ), mothers contending with nursing, feeding and changing little babies, no air-conditioning, long wait times to enter and leave the grounds...

Just shows to me that people living six decades ago were a much hardier stock than the wimps today.

And yes, I remember well the camping out, the long food lines, etc.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"Just shows to me that people living six decades ago were a much hardier stock than the wimps today."

Yes. because suffering just to suffer is a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit